breaking News!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ojibwa62, Feb 14, 2019.

1. You know the left has went completely off the rails, Pelosi in particular, when you compare the President trying to secure the border from MS-13 gang members and drugs with a constitutionally protected right lol. Unflippinghinged and exactly why a shooting war is coming. This idiot should be worried about bladder leakage and baking cookies yet here we are with this moron helping LEAD us. Crazy.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pe...ecedent-for-future-democratic-administrations

EdLongshanks and Nock like this.
  2. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.

I say Huh again.

Did you read the very first link YOU posted????

I'll link it and post it on here.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...o-sign-border-deal-declare-national-emergency

President Trump will declare a national emergency to fund his demand to build a border wall, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced on the Senate floor Thursday.

""I had an opportunity to speak with President Trump and he, I would say to all my colleagues, has indicated he's prepared to sign the bill. He also [will] be issuing a national emergency declaration at the same time. I indicated I'm going to support the national emergency declaration," McConnell announced shortly after 3 p.m. Thursday."

The SECOND link says this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/14/tru...n-border-security-deal-to-avoid-shutdown.html

"On Thursday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell first said Trump is "prepared to sign the bill" but would simultaneously declare a national emergency. The Kentucky Republican "indicated to [Trump] that [he is] going to support the national emergency declaration.""

The 4th link
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ational-emergency-border-wall-mitch-mcconnell

"Rallying Republicans around the plan, McConnell added: "I'm going to support the national emergency declaration."

Just about ALL of the ones you post says McConnell WILL back Trump. Some leave out that last part.

drakeshooter likes this.
  3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Damn it. Beat me again.

drakeshooter likes this.
  4. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    My other issue with declaring a National Emergency, and one that I believe was intentionally left vague by previous POTUS', Congress', and GOP and DNC parties, was that there is ZERO concrete statute regarding what an actual National Emergency is. Yes, Congress can cancel a National Emergency, but given the current political climate, if one party has control of both houses, and POTUS, we are treading on very, very dangerous ground.

The only saving grace is that POTUS is required to act within existing law, and cite it in their declaration. That works for now, I suppose, but still a very shaky foundation when you consider some of the courts where this is likely to be challenged.

I can't find it again, but a Congressional report that summarized the powers of the POTUS under a National Emergency are pretty disturbing. I had it quoted on FB, so here's a summary from that report.

"Under the powers delegated by such statutes, the President may seize property, organize and control the means of production, seize commodities, assign military forces abroad, institute martial law, seize and control all transportation and communication, regulate the operation of private enterprise, restrict travel, and, in a variety of ways, control the lives of United States citizens"

Again, while I agree with building a wall, and increased border security, I cannot agree with the precedent of a POTUS legislating from the Oval Office. You all heard what Pelosi said. Even though she doesn't have a clue about the legal aspects of this, she's right in that future DNC POTUS', and there will be one eventually, will likely do the same when they don't get their way.

5. I agree Iceman, the liberty loving side of me isn’t too keen on using executive action to legislate.

6. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    He does not need to sign this horrible bill , there are some reading it and its awful.. but most in our government are like this.. normally they take 72 hours this is being rushed through..

7. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    He doesn't need an Executive Order.

Approved by Congress--National Emergencies Act of 1976.

There's "only" been 58 national emergencies declared by presidents since 1976.

Here's a list of the 31 national emergencies that have been in effect for years
    According to the Federal Register, 58 national emergencies have been declared since the National Emergency Act of 1976 was signed into law by President Gerald Ford.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31-national-emergencies-effect-years/story?id=60294693

8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Yeah, doesn’t make me feel any better that there’s been “only 58”. Out of all those, 9/11 is only one I would agree with. Why it’s still in effect 17.5 years later, when we’ve killed 90% of the people associated with it, and billions have been spent on better national security, including the creation of more beuracrAcy in the form of a new Cabinet level Federal Department, is disturbing. Seems like a way for both parties to funnel money into the military industrial complex without oversight.

9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    You could be right. I have no idea why 31 of these declarations are still in 'play'. I guess its like taxes...once they put one in, it never goes away?

10. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville

It s been done like 35 times already. The power exists. Could it be abused...sure. I don't have a problem with Trump using it.

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

But you sure would have a problem if a Democrat POTUS did now would you not ?

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Well yeah...because they are communist traitors to the republic.

13. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    Now that Trump has Declared, the legal waters will be tested. With that, the only Monies that will go to the courts, is that of the DOD 2.5 billion, he has already got 5 billion at the ready from my understanding that left can not take to court, so right now Trump wins the battle. Add in that this recent bill only goes to Sept, then he gets a do over and the wall funding war starts again.

Would you like to play a game?

14. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I know the power exists. I'm not disputing that. I am disputing the political philosophy of using it because Congress won't give you what you want. It's a dangerous precedent being set and I doubt the founders would have approved.

drakeshooter likes this.
  15. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    They filled suits within an hour after the speech. We all knew it was coming because that's all the Democrats really have left.

If the Supreme Court FOLLOWS THE LAW AS WRITTEN then Trump will win. We all know that the liberal judges and the liberal courts will rule on their own views and not the law so it will keep going though the courts until the Supreme Court takes it and they WILL take it. It will just simply take time but it can be speeded up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergencies_Act