Breakfast sausage

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by kyoutdoorsman, Jul 31, 2019.

1. I was always told an old sow past her prime made the best sausage. Heard that all my life. When I was killing though they were always freshly finished out barrows.

barney likes this.
  2. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    Nothing off with an old sow, just fatter and a little tougher. I prefer my sausage 80-20 or less fat to lean. Volume wise thats still alot of fat. I'd say most commercial sausage is upwards of 40% fat and tendon.
    Top hogs were 60-65 cents pound a couple weeks ago in Carthage when I went. That is higher than usual. Alot of boars or sows .5 cents.
    I can buy a 150 pound hog for $15-25 more than I can a 30lb feeder pig anymore.

drakeshooter likes this.
  3. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    We paid 57 cents a pound in Feb i think. In April they were 38 cents a pound i was told. Last year we paid 78 cents a pound. At 38 cents i am gonna kill 2 just for me next time. Cant beat that. It will also justify building a walk in cooler.:)

drakeshooter likes this.
  4. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Sometimes hogs get higher when it is killing time and farmers want to kill and salt the hams , shoulders and midlands.

I remember years ago when hogs was shipped in and sold at our local market . They were dirt cheap and the hogs looked top notch . After killing and processing the hogs, most farmers I knew , including me, was disappointed as they were the toughest meat we ever had and most threw the meat away . Forget about eating the pork chop , the bone was more tender than the meat.

barney likes this.
  5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The hogs we bought never step on dirt, and eat nothing but meal...... They are awesome.

6. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    These hogs was feedlot fed and brought in by tractor trailer loads. Hogs was cheap and I believe it was back in the mid 80's. Hogs was cheap on the market and farmers may have been feeding something cheap as their food supply . Who really knows but they were all tough meat.

7. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    I remember cheap prices....back in 95 or so? My uncle was really struggling when it cost more to process a hog than to buy one.

I already have a spot framed up. Add tin, insulation, and plywood along with an air conditioner and one of those temp over-ride thingamajigs and i should be good to go

8. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    First time i ever went to a hog farm and there wasnt an over-whelming stench in the air

9. I know hog prices went to crap when I messing with them around 2005.

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    It's in the breeding not in the feeding. Those popular blue rump, Hampshire, Yorkshire crosses are notorious for rubber chops!

Always pick a red, a spotted, or a black hog, steering clear of black with a stripe around the shoulder which is a Hampshire.

In my time fooling with hogs I found that Red Wattles were the bestest most tender juicy fleshed hogs I ever raised, and Berkshires came in a close second. I would love to try some other good breeds, especially the Mangalitsa one day.

11. Berkshire crosses are what we were buying.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    barney likes this.
  12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    The Hampshire breed started in Kentucky, if my memory serves me correctly

barney likes this.