Breach plug STUCK!!!

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by IDHunter, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Not sure on flash channel specs, but I use the flash channel wire brushes that you can buy for muzzleoaders. Always had good luck with those. I'd recommend a set of welding torch tip cleaners. They're cheap and come with several diameters. They work GREAT for cleaning breech plugs and clearing the flash hole.

Also curious what kind of rust remover you used? Might try picking some up.

00noturkey and Dark Cloud like this.
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    There’s also a welding tip cleaner ,that comes with drill type bits

3. Troy Lawson

Troy Lawson Fawn

May 23, 2019
    Carmichael, CA
    Well there is an Ace hardware down the street so I am covered. Oddly enough they sell Craftsman, which are better quality than the cheap screwdrivers and sockets I usually buy. I got the welding torch tip cleaner set which worked like a charm. The rust remover I got at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. "Evapo-Rust gel" I got the 8 oz. bottle. What am I going to do with a quart or a pint? It was $4.99, and rinse it off with water. Naval Jelly is still around, I think it is made by Permatex now. Just couldn't find it anywhere; this is California, Land of Fruits, Nuts and Flakes. So I used a toothbrush to apply it. Waited 15-20 minutes and rinsed it off, worked good. Be careful not to get it on the bluing. My Buckhorn wasn't left in the rain or anything, I guess I just neglected it or didn't store it properly. If I am storing it how often should I take it out and clean it, every mo., 2mos., 3mos., 6mos.? I take my conventional guns out and clean them every few months. Should I close the breech and store it muzzle down? Do you know the size of the wire brushes?

4. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    After I clean mine good, I run a couple patches through it with some good gun oil and wipe down the outside of the barrel with oil. I usually store it in the safe with the plug out. That will keep it from rusting for as long as I want to store it. Just make sure to clean all the oil out before you try to shoot it.

Here's a link to the brushes I'm referring to. You can find them online. The one for the flash channel has stiffer bristles, the nylon one is larger diameter and great for cleaning the breech plug threads inside the barrel.

5. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    when ya get it out, use "Loctite, Silver Grade, Anti-Seize". i think it was rated at 1,000F when i bought it. it barely takes a touch, on a flat toothpick, to apply it.
    i got some 30 or more years ago, 8Oz., still got some left, near half. good for spark plug thread's, exhaust manifold bolts, whether the engine, or exhaust side.
    never had a nipple, or a breach stuck, after this, on 50 cal., CVA., not to mention manifold bolts..

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  6. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Had no idea Loctite made anti-sieze. Just found on Amazon and they sell it in a stick form, rated to 1,600 degrees. I'll definitely be picking some of that up.

7. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Your local auto parts store has a small pack of it for around 1.50 anti seize

00noturkey likes this.
  8. Troy Lawson

Troy Lawson Fawn

May 23, 2019
    Carmichael, CA
    It has been stated that the torqued bolts need no anti-seize. Reason being it could have the effect of giving false torque readings, as much as 20%, and you will inadvertently make the bolt fail. There are tools made to remove stripped and broken bolts, so I err on the side of caution as far as this is concerned. But I got the slick breech plug nipple grease. So I took your advice and removed the breech plug for storage. I got the tools for the breech plug and the original breech plug is in operating condition now ready to go. I recently got a bore sight laser, and can't wait to sight in my guns. I did my hand guns and will do the rifles next when I get the time. I have a few projects before that though. Thanks everyone for the advice! So when I go to the range the next time and bring the smoke pole, is the procedure: fire a cap or two with no load, load like normal, fire, then do a quick clean, reload, fire, clean, and so on? Or can I wait 3 or 4 shots then clean? Also my rear sight fell off and front sight is loose, I have the scope mount on this also. I also have a couple of scopes, any advice? And I am not a hunter, wouldn't know what to do with a kill. Troy Lawson

9. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    dont know where you get your information, but you are right about sum, of what you say.
    as far as a muzzle loader. i never torqued one down, whether a breach plug or nipple i get it tight then tap it lightly [on the handle, of tool] of breach tool/nipple tool. this lock tight, does work, on a gun, or on engine's.
    you just have to get the hang of using it. experience will teach you.

10. Troy Lawson

Troy Lawson Fawn

May 23, 2019
    Carmichael, CA
    Okay. Not to crack on you or anything, but I can honestly say I have never greased up any torque bolts including head bolts or manifold bolts on any of my cars or trucks. I have snapped a bolt or two due to rust. By and large all the torque bolts I have ever torqued I didn't grease up and came off without an issue. I would say .1 % of them snapped. No one I ever knew ever insisted on using grease on a torque bolt neither my Dad nor any mechanic I ever knew, and never seen it in a shop manual. But that's just me. If it works for you, okay I'll take your word for it. I just don't do it. Thanks for your perspective! Oh I don't torque the breech plug btw, wouldn't know how. Troy

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Bottom line is use the anti seize, I also use the silver. Remove your breech plug when you clean the ML end of day and leave it out until ready to load and shoot again. I will go as far as breaking down any ML as much as possible while on the range and clean before reloading to continue shooting breech plug included. Just remember when you go out for a hunt your going with a clean cold barrel and that first and maybe only shot you pull off may be the only one of the season.
    Only time I ever had a issue was loaning one out and it came back clean they said and I find out later not to be true.

00noturkey, mwezell and Ataulbe1 like this.
  12. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    sorry for replying so late
    sorry to reply so late,, i said, i never torqued, a breech plug, or a nipple down. now on cars and such, i have used a torque wrench, or just wait till the proper feel, or a certain bone pops.. the loctite is good on exhaust, bolts..
    least i think i said it..
    as far as exhaust bolts, anti-seize, will give you false readings,, but the bolts wont get stuck,, that is when a lock washer comes into play..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019