Brand new Mountain Cur pup

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Dev, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

Jan 3, 2005
    Den tree in Northern KY
    The wife told me to find me a Christmas present this year. Found this beauty in southern KY last week. Below is the link to our first trip in the woods. I’ve never trained a squirrel dog, only waterfowl dogs. I think she’s off to a good start though. Enjoy!!!

barney likes this.
  2. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

Jan 3, 2005
    Den tree in Northern KY
  3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Congrats on your new friend/companion/hunting partner.

4. oaktreeplanter

oaktreeplanter Fawn

Jul 29, 2018
    Marshall County
    Great choice on a pup! Thanks for sharing. It looks like you're on the right track:)

5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Good looking pup, enjoyed your video and hope you luck with your pup

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I enjoyed the vid. And that’s a beautiful Cur pup. I love the way a brindle Cur looks. We just started on our Cur dog journey last year and it’s a blast.

Now for some constructive criticism in hopes of helping you along your journey. Let me first say I know very little about squirrel dogs. I’ve been around hounds my whole life. So take this with a grain of salt.

You’d be better served leaving your pup at the house next time. She’s awful young to be around the gun - even a .22 long rifle. It looks like she’s still very unsure of her surroundings which is perfectly fine. Give her a chance to be a pup. Kids helps a lot with that aspect. Kids are loud and rambunctious, which I think helps a pup adjust to people, loud noise and controlled chaos. Keep the pup around the house just getting a feel for being around you and your family. Walk her around the woods and keep the gun at home.

There’s a ton of information on sqdog.com. Those fellers have a vast amount of knowledge on training dogs. They suggested I get a squirrel feeder, fill it with sunflower seeds and put in the backyard close to the pup’s pen. That alone worked wonders.

Squirrels started spending a lot of time around the yard. By spring time the maples were budding and they started hammering the buds. My pup started treeing back in March/April on the squirrels in the maples - drawn in by the bird feeder.

And the added bonus is that you get to become a birder watching all the different birds flock to your feeder.

Also you might try getting a copy of Squirrel Dog Basics by David Osborn. It’s a great book for us novices. I also bought the dvd below which helped me actually see what I was looking for in the dog.

Good luck with your Cur dog. They are some awesome little dogs. I’m glad we got one. A tree dog just adds something to your life:)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Dark Cloud likes this.
  7. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

Jan 3, 2005
    Den tree in Northern KY
    Thank you for the advice! I too have never had a Cur. Been around duck dogs from birth. The pup is currently in the house for a month or so. I’ve got 3 kiddos keeping her occupied. I love the bird feeder idea. I don’t know if it will work at our yard because of the distance to the trees and wide open between here and there. I’ll be looking for that book ASAP. Thanks again for the advice!

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Thanks for that info, we may be looking for a feist down the road as our 14 yr old squirrel treeing beagle mutt can't get around so well, can't see to good and her hearing is bout gone but her nose doesn't miss anything.

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Why cur vs a feist?

10. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

Jan 3, 2005
    Den tree in Northern KY
    I wanted a “bigger” dog.

11. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    That might work to your advantage. Sink a 4x4 post a ways away from the trees the squirrels frequent. Mount your feeder to the post. That way the squirrels have to travel on the ground to get to the feeder which leaves a good scent trail.

Keep a watch out for squirrels. Turn your pup loose when the squirrels are sitting on the feeder. Seeing them run on the ground will help her. Then she can follow them to the tree. Pet her up good when she gets to the tree. Also tie her back to the tree to enforce the idea that she needs to stay treed. Keep petting her up and encouraging her to speak.

Teaching her to “talk” or “speak” helps. When she gets under the tree give her the talk or speak command. This will help getting her to treeing and barking.

My Cur right now is still gaining confidence in the woods. She trees good in the backyard but is still leading to tree hard in the woods.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  12. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    From my understanding Feists have to stay under 30 pounds or they won’t register them.

Barney, Dark Cloud and Luther’s Feists could tell you more about their characteristics.

Our Cur is about 27-30 pounds. She will use her eyes, ears and nose to locate. Her Dam is probably 35 pounds and her Sire is roughly 45. My brother has both. We went coon hunting last night and the sire treed one in a den tree. He’s completely silent on track and then hammers on the tree.

barney and 1wildcatfan like this.
  13. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Greta video. Very well done mister. I will gladly watch you on a regular basis. Just good to see normalcy. Good luck with the pup. I have no idea how to train a hunting dog and I look forward to watching the process unfold. Both good and bad. Keep up the hard work and keep being true to yourself. That’s what makes good “content.”

Also, tell your bride I said sup....but in a respectful and good way.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Dev likes this.
  14. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

Jan 3, 2005
    Den tree in Northern KY
    Thank ya sir! I enjoy making videos for YouTube. I much prefer to do hunting videos over homestead stuff. But we have family and friends scattered all over the country who love to keep up with us and see our kids. Btw the wife said “sup back atcha dude”.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I love the non hunting/homesteading videos.