Brake bleeding?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by beauhunter41031, Dec 7, 2020.

1. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Figured I would propose this question to the many great minds on this site. I’ll try to simplify this as best as possible.

Recently bought a 2001 land rover discovery. In the listing ad mentioned brakes needed bleeding, after looking in person owner states he took it to mechanic shop and master cylinder and booster is bad. He then goes on to say his wife drove it regularly to Ohio and he decided to change brake pads and ended up having to replace front driver caliber and brake line. That’s when the trouble starts.

I got it cheap and hauled it home. My obvious thoughts were probably just Stubborn air in system because there was not a problem with master cylinder and booster before he replaced caliber and line. Driving it around the house pedal goes all the way to floor and sometimes if pushed fast enough would lock up one of the wheels.

Got it in the shop and after cracking bleeder valves (Starting from farthest point from reservoir) have obviously never been cracked in 10 years. Probably need couple new calipers but that’s different story. Anyways with friend in driver seat working pedal I can’t even get fluid pushing out rear passenger side bleeder, so I went up to Passenger side front and again cannot get anything squirting out of bleeder when pumping brake pedal.
    So I am definitely thinking master cylinder and booster are bad unless any of y’all mechanics would still think there is some type of stubborn air in the system that has me hung up.

sorry for the long read but I always ask advice for people that know more than me before spending money

2. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Crack your line at the brake master cylinder to make sure it is putting out fluid.
    If you have fluid flow there then check the check valve . They are designed to close off one side of the brake master cylinder flow and is possibly holding fluid back to the rear brakes. .

barney, Feedman, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Did you get any air out of he line? It might have a lot of air in the lines. Have to tighten bleeder. Pump up brakes hold brake peddle down brake bleeder several times to get fluid to come out. Lot of air you wont get fluid until air is out of lines. Every bleeder you might have to do this. Once you get air out and fluid coming out of each line. GO BACK and bleed again to make sure all air out and nothing but fluid coming out. Hope this helps

Trapper Delk likes this.
  4. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    If I have to change out a bad line I just take the cap off the master cylinder and open the bleeder. Do something else for 20 or 30 minutes. Come back and have fluid dripping. Start the bleeding process. Putting some suction at the bleeder works also.
    As far as getting no fluid I have seen the rubber lines fall apart internally and block the flow.

Brody likes this.
  5. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    Brake lines sometimes collapse and you can't get one single drop through them. I've only seen it on older vehicles but ... who knows, that could be your problem. Good luck!

6. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

Definitely gonna check lines at master cylinder just got off phone with mechanic friend and he said the same thing. I was really hoping it was air in line problem because this issue did not occur until after previous owner replaced caliber and line. unless he somehow messed up the master cylinder trying to bleed the brakes after the fact

7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    One of these could be your best friend,start with the wheel farthest away from your master cylinder ,just my opinion,we all know about opinions.

Attached Files:

barney, JeepComanche and Carl like this.
  8. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    On most of the stuff I usually use my Motive to get some pressure on it. It allows me to one man it. I also found on the Chevrolet trucks starting in about 1995 you have to have a 2 way scanner to command the abs box to activate to get the air out.

9. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    You keep saying he said it was not bad till he did line and caliper.... #1 don't believe anything someone says when they sale you vehicle, even if friends or FAMILY ....

10. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    He did not say that, I assumed that. I truly believe the wife and the fact she drove it to Ohio several times before Husband attempts to put new brake pads on ends up having to replace caliber and line then we have the problem. They could be bold face liar’s but I believe they had good intentions with this vehicle as they replaced several other things on it but not the ideal vehicle for their situation and The repair bills kept adding up so on and so forth

Trapper Delk likes this.
  11. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Is what it is, only gave $1500 for this POS. And I knew it was somewhat of a mechanic special going in heck I’ve got $700 worth of new tires laying in the shop floor Ready to go on but I can’t get the damn thing off jackstands

12. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Like someone said before me fill up with fluid and see if you even got any thing/pressure coming out of master it can't be to bad you said sometimes one wheel locks up if you hit them fast

13. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Just got home, can’t find any helpers to pump brakes but I’m fixing to walk over to the shop and cracked bleeders see what gravity does overnight

14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Wel I haven't slept at a Holiday inn express in a while. These guys have already given some good advise.

00noturkey likes this.
  15. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I wouldn't leave it all night might drain all out, I've heard of people putting small rubber hose on bleeder and running it into breakfluid can so it doesn't take air.... I've never did it just heard of it

mwezell likes this.