Bows against guns!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by pope and young, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I like bows and guns. Sure, I think generally speaking it takes more skill to hunt with a bow BUT there's no guarantee with a gun either.

As far as compounds vs. traditionals, who cares? Every deer I have shot with my compound bow I could have just as easily shot with a recurve. It's not like they've been too far away (except that first one) or the compound bows speed is what made the kill possible. I still had to get on the deer, draw on it and hit my target. I too say use whatever weapon you like.

2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    You know, if they were to ban guns for hunting and Ky went to all bows for deer season, then you'd have all the bowhunters on here complaining about how its not like it used to be when they could get out in the woods and never see another hunter, or about how the deer were never spooked like they are now with all the hunters on ATV's in the woods, or about how deer just aren't as big as they were with everyone now shooting whatever spike walks within 30 yards of their stand. It'll be the same problems, just different weapons.

3. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I'd still like to see a 1 year ban on bucks.:D

4. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Why can't we all just get along?

5. Jughead

Jughead Banned

Nov 14, 2006
    Kentucky
    your just mad about that elk that ate the fender off your truck :D

6. Huntinis4me

Huntinis4me 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2005
    Shelbyville, KY.
    I say, when legal, shoot what you want. Shouldn't matter if it's a bow or gun. Don't need hunters aginst each other.

7. Realtree man

Realtree man 8 pointer

Nov 10, 2006
    Knott County
    lol yeah man that made me mad too

8. the critter

the critter Fawn

Jun 13, 2008
    Edmonson Co. Ky.
    dang elitist's, they will be the destruction of hunting.......

9. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    I respect your opinion, because everyone has a right to their own. But this isnt a feasible statement, its just asking for people to get heated. While i dont agree with what you said, I do agree that their would be bigger deer. BUT, that being said, I tell that to tell you this. With the fact that their would be bigger deer, the reason that being is because there would be less deer killed. Hence, the whole reason we even have a season fella. If you dont thin the herd or population of deer, property damage, animal disease, and the sport will gradually dissappear. I think the sport would gradually dissappear because a lot of people cant AFFORD to bow hunt. Im an RN, and i dont have the money to go out and buy a bow, with all the fixings, and not to mention the time it takes to practice. Guns in my family have been handed down from generation to generation, along with the knowledge of how to use it.

I call myself a big time deer hunter because im a fan of the animal, a protector of the animal, and I love the sport. And if i go out once a year in the woods with a gun, in cold weather and sit and enjoy mother nature while she rises and sets the sun before my very eyes and get a buck, so be it.

I could see bow hunting dissappear before gun season would ever be considered to be gotten rid of. I know i would love it if i tried it, maybe im scared of that fact. I have a golf hobby i have to afford, bow hunting and golfing isnt something i can afford tgather im sure.

10. Ballard County Bounty

Ballard County Bounty 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2007
    Ballard County
    I will say I love that time of year...The bucks are goin crazy and the commrodary is awesome in deer camps across the state. However...I don't get as excited for gun season as I used too. I used to not be able to sleep the night before. It doesnt matter what size the deer is when it's within bow range. If I have made my mind up that I am gonna shoot that deer, I get the shakes with a bow in hand. The intensity is undescribable! Every deer I kill with a bow is a trophy in my book and I will never forget a deer I killed with a bow. I have forgotten about deer I have shot with a rifle but I can tell you in detail every deer I have killed with a bow. My largest buck to date was taken with a bow and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love that bow huntin!!!

11. md2bintn

md2bintn Fawn

Sep 21, 2008
    Harrogate, Tn,
    Then go back....

Not a whole lot different than hunting over standing corn...deer don't have to eat it if they don't want it....and ya still gotta beat their noses...not as difficult at 200 yards..jmo

12. big300mag

big300mag 6 pointer

Feb 10, 2007
    Corbin, KY
    P&Y, I primarily bowhunt myself, and I agree that there is no greater feeling in the world than getting any deer within bow range. But to say that hunters who only use a gun are not really hunters,as has already been stated clearly, is wrong. Some of the best hunters that I know have never even picked up a bow. And some of the dumbest hunters I've ever met would clasify themselves as bowhunters. Being safe and ethical in the taking of any animal species is what clasifies us as hunters, not the means in which we take the animal. To each his own. Hunt with what makes you happy, and be grateful for the opportunities that you have that has been provided by all hunters, both bowhunters and gunhunters.

13. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    Here we go again! After reading all of the post on this thread and all of the arguing back and forth I could only think what the anti hunters must think. Gun vs. bow, baiting vs. no baiting, check stations, compound vs. traditional and so on. They must be getting a charge out of all of this. It surly gives them a lot of fuel to use against us hunters. I can hear them now, even the hunters fight each other over who is better and has more skill and rights.

Seems like this fight comes up every year about doing away with some type of hunting within the hunting groups. In order for us to keep our hunting rights we must stay together as hunters and be united against the anti hunter groups. We are all hunters no matter what we use to hunt with. We all choose to hunt with whatever we like for our own reasons. In so doing don't look down on someone who has a different view than you.

I can only hope this thread gets removed before it can fuel any anti hunting groups. Don't think they don't visit sites like this. We must stay united as hunters!!!

14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I don't like it when people wear clothes while hunting. Deer don't have them, why should you? To make it fair you people should really be hunting butt naked with a stick. If you did that there would be plenty of big deer for all of us.

15. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose

......and a whole lot fewer, "Nice picture" replies on here.;)