Bowhunt Only?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Rackophrenic Rick, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Shelbyhunter

Shelbyhunter 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2002
    La Grange, KY.
    I hunt with all 3 weapons. I have only hunted for 8 years now and I have killed 12 deer. 4 bucks and 8 does. I have killed 3 with a bow, 2 with a ML, and the rest with a rifle.

There is something unique about all weapons. Challenge with the bow, one shot with the ML, and the confidence factor with a .30-06.

2. Committing to bow only is tough and it requires that you have more time than the average deer hunter to spend in the woods in order to be successful, especially in the taking of mature bucks. Since doing so I have accepted the odds and the fact that there will be years I eat tag soup. For example, last year I could have easily taken a 150 class buck during the first day of gun season if I had brought the rifle instead of the bow. I find that the older I get, the cat and mouse game with mature bucks is the thing that makes it worth while for me. But that is what is so cool about our deer hunting season. The way it is set-up, everyone has a choice on how they want to do it and what they want to do it with.

3. letmfly

letmfly 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2006
    I bow hunted only for about 13 years, mainly because it was better for public land(less hunters) and the private lands I hunted I was usually the only one hunting the property with a bow. I've enoyed bowhunting in 5 different states for whitetails, muledeer, antelope and pig. Now that my son is hunting we've both enjoyed shooting a muzzleloader and a rifle this year. He has been successful with a crossbow and muzzleloader the last couple years. When he is capable I'll get him bowhunting.
    I could easily go back to just a bow, but I've enjoyed playing around with the ML.

4. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    Add my name to the list

5. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    I mostly bow hunt, Last year I took the rifle to a farm that we have permission to hunt but it is near impossible to bow hunt. I will take it to camp this year and see what happens. I love the bow but this will make the 5th year eating tab soup and it is starting to taste bad!

6. I am for the most part bow only. But i do take a ml or gun a few times just to change it up or if i have seen one that i want real bad.

7. notimlmit

notimlmit 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2007
    Barren co.
    I hunt bow, ml and rifle. My favorite is bow and it is definetly more of a challenge, like being said before and not being offensive to anyone but anyone can pull a trigger, heck I do--I'm just trying to get r done but I'm getting picky at what I take anymore, that's why I've had tags left over for some time now

8. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    Bow hunt only, sorta. I have not rifle hunted in years but I still take a muzzleloader for the opening weekend at Ft. Knox. My brother and father are party leaders on Area 17, so I go spend some quality time with them opening weekend. And it is only spending time with my family that I go since I've only seen 1 deer in the past 3 years there.
    I started out using every weapon I could, in fact I got a "whitetail grand slam" (5 deer with 5 different weapons) back in the 80s in Ky and Tenn. Lots of fun and quite the challenge, but I like the challenge of bowhunting.
    Like you Rick, if I'd had a rifle during some of the past rifle seasons instead of a bow, several 140-150 class deer would probably be on the wall, but my choice is to bowhunt and I have not regreted it a bit. Well maybe except for that 1 time that, that 150" 10 pt. was working a scape 60 yds. away, I wish I had my .270, but other than that, well there was that other time, well you know what I mean.

9. sharpstick

sharpstick 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    Bow only... this makes the 5th year strait without a firearm.

10. slow-bow

slow-bow 10 pointer

Oct 19, 2006
    Henderson Co., KY
    As a teenager, I took my first 4 deer with a 12ga. shotgun. Got turned on to bowhunting in '88. Managed to get my first bowkill that fall. Have taken 47 more deer with nothing but the PSE Carroll Intruder that I still use to this very day. Nothing but a "BOW" for this 'ol boy.

11. kipdynamite

kipdynamite 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2005
    Lexington
    The first gun season I hunted for deer, I hunted with a bow....I quickly switched to gun. I was new to deer hunting and wanted to shoot a deer badly, and I could not get close to one at all with a bow. As time went on I became more sucessful, and now only hunt mature deer. I find myself only hanging stands for bow shots now.....but as much pressure we see from tresspasers, there is no way I want to confront one during gun season with just a bow in my hand:mad:

12. tinpoint

tinpoint 6 pointer

Dec 22, 2004
    Murray Ky
    I would usually take both,but my son wants to go with me this weekend,so he will have the smoke pole and I'll stick with my bow.

13. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    Definitely bow only.......

14. Bows over Guns

Bows over Guns 6 pointer

Aug 2, 2007
    bow this weekend. i would rather shoot deer with a bow than a gun any day but that aint my im takin my bow. i really dont have any farms to gun hunt on.

15. Birddog

Birddog 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2003
    Pike County, Kentucky
    Bow only for 20 years now. Bowhunting takes more work and time and for some that's not attractive or an option. I simply enjoy the whole experience from scouting, hanging stands to the actual shot itself. We are all deer hunters and the thrill is the same. Now if the thrill is gone maybe it's time to find another way to get that rush back and that's why I choose to bowhunt.