Bowhunt Only?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Rackophrenic Rick, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Just curious as to how many of the regular visitors to this forum exclusively bowhunt and do not pick-up a muzzle loader or rifle during the deer season?

I'm not trying to start any rift betwee bowhunters and gunhunters here so please don't take it down that road. I just would like to get a idea of the number of folks that hunt deer by use of only archery equipment. Also, I'd like to know if you have always hunted this way or if you used to hunt with a gun as well but changed later to bow only.

It seems like I have been running into more and more people who use nothing but the stick and string. Not sure if it is due to the better availablity to hunting property due to using the bow or simply a personal choice or both.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. DoeMaster

DoeMaster 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2004
    Lexington, Ky, USA.
    I Like to hunt with all 3 weapons. Nothing compares to taking a deer with a bow but I still like to use the ol smoke pole and rifle when the seasons are in. I definantly get a lot more hunting in with a bow due to the length of the season though.

3. muzzy125acc

muzzy125acc 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2002
    PULASKI CO..
    i will only have a bow this weekend.

4. ken w

ken w 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2003
    clarkson, ky, USA.
    bow only, recurve or longbow for about 25yrs now

5. mathewslxinky

mathewslxinky 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    irvington, ky
    I used to hunt with both a gun and bow. I work on the river and it was great the first year i was home for all of the gun hunt. but the next year i was on the boat all of gun season. i told myself right then that when i got home i was buying a bow so i would have more time to hunt. It toke me three years to get a deer with a bow, but after that when i went back out with the ol 270 it just felt to me like i was cheating. so now the only thing i gun hunt is coyotes. Hopefully I will be able to get my turkey one of these days with the bow as well. And like you said not wanting to start a war over the better hunter or the better choice. I enjoyed gun hunting but i just enjoy bow hunting better. as long as you are out there hunting and not at home on the couch watching tv it is a great day for me.

6. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    I have bowhunted for many yrs,during bow season.When smokepole and rifle seasons came in ,I would switch to those.However this year ,I have decided to attempt to use my bow during early muzzleloader. I have always had deer plenty close enough every year for good clean bow shots during blackpowder ,so Iam going to try something different............

7. Me, my family, and farm are bow-hunting only!

8. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

I by far enjoy bow hunting the most, and most of my hunting is with the bow. Last year I bow hunted only, but I tagged out early and took my nephew during gun season. I'll be taking the muzzle loader out this weekend though, just for a change of pace. I plan to put my feet on the ground and do some stalking instead of sitting in a stand all day.

9. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    If I go this weekend I will be packing my Bear.

10. sirgiovanni

sirgiovanni 8 pointer

Mar 11, 2004
    Evansville, IN, USA.
    I wish I had the self control to only bow hunt. Something about a rifle gets me excited. Maybe it's from waking up in the camper opening mornings and watching my dad getting dressed while picking up his rifle or MZ every 2 or 3 minutes saying, "That's what I'm talkin about".
    :D
    LOL

11. BuckUp

BuckUp Banned

Jan 30, 2007
    Bow hunt, I used to shotgun hunt (in Ohio) and my 8 year old does youth weekend.
    FOR ME there's no challenge or exitement in shooting a deer at 100 yards with a high powered rifle.

12. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I generally try to bowhunt for bucks (although I have broken down in the past:eek:), but rifles/ML are too good of a management tool to pass up for does.

13. Thunder Head

Thunder Head 8 pointer

I carry the ole smokepole or the 30/30 on scouting missions during the firearms season. But when i am going to get in a stand and hunt its bow only for the last 8 or 9 years.

14. BuckBuster

BuckBuster 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Hardin Co., Ky.
    Bowhunting only for me, & has been for the last 5-6 years. I've killed enough deer with a gun in my time that the challenge is just not there like it use to be. To me it just got too easy with the gun. If I seen one it was a pretty sure thing that I would get it. I enjoy trying to get close enough within thier living area to get a 30 yard or less shot, it adds more to the challenge. So, to each his own.

15. bigeza2000

bigeza2000 8 pointer

Oct 11, 2007
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Bow Hunter

I used to gun hunt but I figured anyone can shoot a deer from 300+ yards. It takes a real serious hunter to take one from 20 yards. I also think the rush you get is better when bow hunting. I do stay out of the woods for the most part during guns seasons. To many idiots shoot first before making sure of their target. Plus, it helps when you buy a new bow.