Bowfishing Lights

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by tomfever, Feb 18, 2013.

1. tomfever

tomfever 6 pointer

May 30, 2010
    western side of kentucky
    Just got a new boat and was looking to get it rigged up for bowfishing during the summer and waterfowl in the winter. Have been looking at lights and trying to make my decision. I have used the average 500 watt halogens before, but I hate having to use a loud gas guzzling generator. Metal halides hurt my pocket a little too much, and HPS arent exactly cheap. I do not have a generator as of right now so that has to go into the spending equation. I have been looking at LED lights though. And I found these http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x-27W-Roun...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item417065a602 . I have heard mixed reviews on LED but I watched videos on youtube that these were used and the water looked pretty good. With these you can run all of them on a 12 v battery for up to 18 hours eliminating a generator. Just looking for everyones .02

2. breckhunter

breckhunter 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    Breckinridge
    Where do you fish? And how big is your boat ? And mainly what fish you after?

3. tomfever

tomfever 6 pointer

May 30, 2010
    western side of kentucky
    I fish mainly around my house on some small rivers. Never hit anything big some of the water is crystal clear, some is kinda murky. I run a 17 1/2 by 5 wide flat bottom. We shoot alot of gar and carp mainly grass carp

4. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    My son went with the LED's last year and he really likes them. He shoots the rivers and a few strip pits. Powers them from a 12volt marine battery. He also used the generator and halogens before he switched.

5. jbrandle

jbrandle Fawn

Oct 27, 2012
    I still like halogens imo. You pay for it at first cus of the generator and the housings. But once you get it all you just keep up with the bulbs and gas for the genny. I bought 500 watt housings and run 300 watt bulbs. I wish they'd come back out with the 250 ultras.

6. tomfever

tomfever 6 pointer

May 30, 2010
    western side of kentucky
    What wattage does he use? How many? Do you know how many lumens each light is? And does he have visibility issues with them anytime?

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I would go LED if I were going to set one up just for the fact of not having to deal with the generator. Check over on the bowfishingcountry.com forum. Several guys over there swapped over to them last year. There was a guy selling them at a pretty good price, too. I made a direct contact with a supplier in China last year and was going to be able to get them at one heck of a price but just never did it.

8. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012

He uses 12 lights, the lumens are 2100 per light and the wattage is 27 watts per light. He said the light is different compaired to the halogens but he preferred the LED's better. He said they are a little pricey, around $30.00 a light. He built the rail mount and the lights are a lot lower than the halogens, the lights being smaller themselves.

9. breckhunter

breckhunter 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    Breckinridge
    You can still buy them

10. breckhunter

breckhunter 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    Breckinridge
    I have 8 halo 500 watts for 3 reasons 1-cheap 2-do better in murky water (fish the Ohio river a lot) and 3- I run a powermax on off my genny so I only have to have one battery and can troll all night

11. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    These work for us when the Asians aren't busting them.

030.jpg

12. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    i have fished off of all three setups. leds are nice and quiet. they are the most expensive setup. lights are about 100 a piece plus your batteries depending on how many you run. work great when the water is clear. if you shoot the river when its muddy you wont be happy. hps lights are a little cheaper and are in my opinion the best all around light. great coverage and visibility in all water. the halogens are the cheapest and work good. not as good of a color light as the hps but still good lights. make sure to have extra bulbs on hand for the halos as they seem to not take waves branches or silver carp very well.

13. troy75

troy75 8 pointer

Aug 24, 2009
    livingston,ky
    I'm currently switching over from halogen to LED, I shoot the ky lake and the rivers a lot and I wanted something I can shoot both with. On the lake I will just leave on and on the rivers I can run a Bigfoot switch and shoot bigheads. I went with 50 watt warm white,they put out about the same as a 500 watt halogen, ill post pic up when I get it done. I've already built the rail for them, I ordered them a week ago and just now got my tracking number.this my rail gonna put 10 lights on it.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362614419.200442.jpg

14. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Just out of curiosity, why warm white? I've read numerous people say the cool whites are better, but I've also heard its personal preference.