Bow Opener Weather

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Huntertyler, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Huntertyler

Huntertyler 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2014
    Madison county
    I know that some think its crazy to look at a weather forecast more than a couple days in advance, but couldn't help but notice how nice the weather is looking for opening weekend. Having the high at around 80 sure will be nice especially after how hot it has been these last few days. What does the temps have to be before most of you get out in the woods?

2. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I go regardless of weather. I’d rather it be cooler. But it looks rather promising for opening weekend. Hope it stays that cool.

Jman, Ataulbe1 and Huntertyler like this.
  3. DBKY

DBKY 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2019
    KY
    That depends on how big of a buck I’ve been watching prior to the opener. It takes a big one for me to put up with the heat and bugs so I usually don’t participate until it cools down a little. I’m usually hunting by late September early October. But I’ll be out there opening day this year!

120+, woodsman92 and Huntertyler like this.
  4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    To hot for me. Dont want to race the Flies to the Deer. Ill wait till mid October. Ill hunt Dove WoodDucks and Geese before bow hunting.

120+ and rockhousehunter like this.
  5. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Way to hot for me. I don't give a crap what I have on camera, if its hot, I'm waiting. Killed way too many deer to be miserable while doing it. The days of me hanging in the stand and torturing myself are over. Never had any luck on those days anyway.

120+ and GTbowhunter like this.
  6. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    A few times now over the years, I've kilt the biggest deer on the farm on opening day of bow season. Twice, it was 90° when I dropped the string. I also understand your side of it, though. It's just about how bad you want it. I'm not as mad at em these days lol.
    With that said, I got a date opening day.
    Screenshot_20210807-102902~2_copy_403x768.png Screenshot_20210807-102931_copy_432x864.png

Nock, Timholt70, gung and 20 others like this.
  7. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Too hot. I'm either fishing or shooting doves in September.

OLE RASPY and rockhousehunter like this.
  8. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    So if your coming out for opener then how big is the one you been watching?

jblack1 and rockhousehunter like this.
  9. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I usually hunt opener although I’ve never had early season success. But I will say early season I’m pretty picky. Won’t shoot a doe to work up in the heat, and not shooting just a decent buck when I have the whole season ahead. I’ve been scouting and running cameras and have yet to see anything that excites me, if nothing shows up between now and opener I’m just going to hit public land on opener and see what shows up

rockhousehunter likes this.
  10. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Yeah man, he's a dandy. I know what you mean, "not as mad at em". In the past I was piss and vinegar, now more like a coke and powdered donuts. The think I hate more about the heat than the setting in it is the necessity to get down and do something with the deer asap. I like to linger, take time with pictures, set around with the deer and reflect, that sort of thing. I hope you bust his hull opening week Meat.
    We've just recently made a road up our hill and around, been fighting with that lately trying to get the water breaks right and things sown properly, not even set the first camera out yet. Always had to lug stands up and down points but no more.

Lumen, Ataulbe1 and Meatstick like this.
  11. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    had to miss the past two opening weekends due to back problems. Will be in the stand on the 4th lord willing. A velvet buck is a huge goal of mine. Aside from the rut its the easiest time of the year to kill a mature buck aswell just can't pass that up because of a little heat. Never even think about the heat slinging a fishing rod so surely I can handle it to sit dead still in the shade.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'll hunt opening day no matter what the weaterh, just because it is tradition..... After that, it all depends on who is showing up.... I'm not gonna sit in blazing heat unless one of the 4 shooters is hanging around.

Lumen, Huntertyler, Jman and 3 others like this.
  13. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Planning to be out opening weekend. Always try to get away from labor day plans long enough to hit the woods a few times. I usually play the weather after that until early muzzleloader.

Meat, if I had a buck like like that on camera I might be more "powdered coke and donuts" than "coke and powdered donuts"!

14. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I'll be waiting til they get hard horned. Til I get pics of them hard horned I'll be working on the firewood pile.

Meat good luck, that's a stud!

Huntertyler and Meatstick like this.
  15. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I saw him out back today. He'll be hard horned by daylight I imagine. He had shit swaying and dangling off his rack. Looked like he'd cornered a coon in a stump and give it hell

Lumen, Feedman, Huntertyler and 3 others like this.