Bow Only

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by madmanhadx, Feb 19, 2013.

1. madmanhadx

madmanhadx Fawn

Aug 6, 2012
    Louisvilleish
    Who is going bow only this spring? Tried it last year and blanked and then was too busy to go this fall. It is such a challenge to get full limit in spring and fall and would like to know if anyone has ever done this. Or even just been lucky (or skilled if you want to think that) enough to do this in the spring alone? Aim high and let it fly.... Almost time boys and girls!

2. The Lawn Man

The Lawn Man 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2011
    Ky
    Im gonna use my new Xbow.. for early gun season.. just be cause i bought it late in the season and didnt kill anything with it... and im itching to make a kill with it

PARKER TOMAHAWK

3. toxic

toxic 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2012
    J-TOWN (LOUISVILLE)
    I shot my first bow bird in the fall from a blind. I shot one last spring with my bow sittin in front of a tree all exposed. You want a rush, have a gobbler strutting and gobbling ten feet in front of you. It's awesome!

4. RJPOUTDOORS

RJPOUTDOORS 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2006
    Uniontown, Ky.
    I have been blessed to take a few from a blind, however over the years I have missed a lot and lost a few arrows. I'm playing with the idea of trying it this year without a blind or maybe a blind that attaches to my bow. I went out today and looked at some spots that would hide me.

5. thunderchicken10

thunderchicken10 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2009
    I've got my bullheads ready to go, counting down the days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. PSEaxis

PSEaxis 6 pointer

Jun 22, 2005
    Fishers, IN
    I'll be going bow only this spring.. Or atleast until I get frustrated enough to bring out the Remington ;) Going with NAP Killzone heads this year.

7. jb917

jb917 8 pointer

Oct 21, 2009
    Ewing, KY
    I have killed a few in the fall with my bow but never in the spring. This is going to be the year. Bow only for me.

8. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I have done bow only a few springs. Killed limits 2 out of three years in ky when I was doing bow only. The other year I only got one. Been filming all my hunts and a buddy's for a few years and now I usually do one gun hunt and one with a bow. Recently I have been taking and filming enough people I like to go ahead and get mine knocked out early so I can focus on them. To me the only thing that makes it more difficult is the shot. But I hunt almost exclusively out of a blind anyways. Had one year when I lived in South Dakota that I wished I had taken the gun. Missed two beautiful Miriam's with my bow but I want my 4 sub species mounted all killed with the bow.

9. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    Im going bow only love it

10. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    Yep, bow only!!!!! Nothing like running one through the boiler room at 5 yards!!!!!

11. bowmaddnes

bowmaddnes 8 pointer

Sep 15, 2011
    Western Ky
    I'm going bow only as well ! Just got a new PSE Brute X sighted in and ready to put an arrow through ol' tommy three toes !

12. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    I tried it last year and it was frustrating!!!! Been bow only for animals now for 17 years but always broke out the scatter gun for turkeys. I called 4 different gobblers into my lap last year and never let an arrow fly. Gonna try it again this year. No blind, 50lb. draw and turkey tomahawk broadheads. The floral Ivey helps hide the draw. pic from 10 yds.
    [​IMG]
    5yds.
    [​IMG]
    Pointblank.
    [​IMG]

13. KYBuckeye

KYBuckeye 6 pointer

Sep 2, 2012
    Harrison County
    Damn thats pretty good.

14. KyHorse

KyHorse BBBC Members

Jul 29, 2003
    Henderson, KY, USA.
    I've never been one to have to pull the trigger on a bird because I liked the calling end of it as much as anything. But switching over to archery created a bigger challenge. I completed my Archery slam last year and hope to add a Guolds to the mix next month in Mexico.

15. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    I wish you luck on your Gould's adventure. Congrats on the archery slam. Give us some pointers since you seem to have it figured out. After last year Im frustrated. Gonna try to pull it off this year without a blind again. 3 of the birds last year came in to the call looking and walking but never gave it up. I broke down and added a strutting decoy to my setup and almost pulled it off but when I was settling the pin he got weirded out from the decoy and walked off. Hunting the woods birds with no fields or blind is about to get the best of me.