Bow hunting without a blind

Jde

6 pointer
Oct 9, 2013
I have killed turkey's in the spring with my bow out of a blind. Tried hunting without blind last spring and came close. Does anyone have any good tips to bow hunting turkey's without a blind.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Pretty good short article in Outdoor Life, or is it Field and Spring? Anyway, guy that has killed a zillion with a bow has some great tips on the subject.

yelper

8 pointer
Nov 17, 2003
It is gret fun but can be very humbling at the same time. I would recommend carrying a piece if burlap or netting (used my rain pants once) that you an quickly put up to hide your "drawing movements" if you aren't around cedars or larger trees. I like to take residence in the ditches, behind logs or anything else like that.

If you are hunting a field edge tuck back in the brush/woods a bit so you have a few trees to quickly draw behind when his head goes behind. You may want to practice the "quick draw" as we all know how fast those cagey gobblers can whip their heads back around the tree.

Hunt w confidence KNOWING you are gonna get him and don't fret if they bust you a few times as that is part of it.

Let the good times roll!
WessKansasBow2011.jpg

Good luck and post some pics
Wess

drthuntingtv

6 pointer
Mar 18, 2012
Great tips from yelper. When hunting turkeys with a bow and no blind, you'll have a lot more fun if you accept the fact that there will be certain birds that will give you the slip that you probably could've killed with a shotgun. If you can accept this and you're still okay with it, your season will be a lot more enjoyable.
I'd like to add that decoys can help a TON in the right situation. If you're lucky enough for the bird to strut facing away in your spread, he's completely blind to you. Draw your bow back fast but quiet, then you can take your time placing the pin where it needs to be and making a good shot. I like to shoot a big cut mechanical broadhead on turkeys but that's an entirely different discussion. Best of luck and above all have fun.

Tha' Hat

10 pointer
Oct 3, 2005
The Island
Pretty good short article in Outdoor Life, or is it Field and Spring? Anyway, guy that has killed a zillion with a bow has some great tips on the subject.

It was Field and Stream. I wrote it. :)

The guy I wrote it about is Cally Morris, owner of Hazel Creek Taxidermy. I hunted with him last spring, and his techniques are the real deal.

Here's a video of him / the technique in action: http://www.realtree.com/turkey-hunting/videos/15-yard-files-the-closest-bow-kill-turkey-ever-filmed

Feedman

Cyber-Hunter
May 28, 2003
In the basement

hollandhunter

12 pointer
Feb 11, 2008
Holland Kentucky
I suppose it can be done. I shot a hen one time with my bow from the ground and no blind. Just free style i guess you could call it. Ha. But bottom line is its a heck of a lot harder and you will prolly run a dozen birds into the next county before getting your first on. I would back my bow way down so you can hold it back for atleast 5 to 8 min. Long enough for the slow gobbler to come on in then i would invest in a good leafy or guily suit. I have a gander mountain leafy suit that is about as good as i have seen. It cost me 150 bucks but i love it. Good luck in your venture and i wish you good luck. Bow hunting with out a blind for any turkey and you will need a fair amount of luck no matter the situation. Jmo

Sent from my SCH-I545L using Tapatalk

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
As said before, be prepared for frustration, but I guess that makes success so much sweeter. I have killed more than my share of turkeys with a shotgun. I decided to bow hunt two years ago. I got two shots the first morning out of a blind. The first one was at a good tom, 12 yards away out of the side window. Didn't have the window down enough. Arrow clipped the window, arrow buried in the ground 15 feet from the window. Dad shot that bird with a 20 guage shortly after. LOL, stupid. Shot number 2 was at a big tom at 18 yards in the front window. He was marching/stalking the strutter. I was dumb and shot at a steadily moving target and hit him too far back. No recovery. Pretty much soured me on bow hunting turkeys. Both shots were my fault. The complete miss didn't bother me, but the lost bird did. Don't know if I will do it again.

skin_dog1

BBBC Members
Jan 2, 2004
Bowling Green, KY, USA.
I've done it on camera with three guys in the field. I had my bow, one guy had a camera and my other buddy had a tail fan. Me and the camera man set up on the edge of a draw and my buddy crawled out with the tail fan and got their attention with some calling. With the birds attention on the tail fan I smoked the gobbler at about 12 yards. Will be trying the same tactic this spring in Kansas again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Georgia Transplant

10 pointer
May 22, 2008
Western Kentucky
A leafy or ghilli suit is a good idea when bow hunting turkey without a blind. Also, positioning yourself behind a large tree will help you draw on the bird then peek around it and let the arrow fly. I've used these tactics with success.

Last edited:

KYBuckeye

6 pointer
Sep 2, 2012
Harrison County
e6uzu4uj.jpg
bought this at the convention. Screws in were the stabilizer goes. Just cut holes for the sight and arrow and its supposed to mask your movements. Will see how it works.

turkeyhunter91

12 pointer
Apr 3, 2007
I have killed a couple from the ground with a bow, I usually tryed to wait till they was turned looking the other way to draw, or I would set back In the woods about 10-15 yards from the field edge so I could draw when the bird was behind a tree.I usually shot them in the head or neck so it didn't matter what way they was turned. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

RJPOUTDOORS

6 pointer
Dec 4, 2006
Uniontown, Ky.
First Good Luck, it is a blast trying without a blind. Yelper had some great tips for you, I agree you need to set back in the woods a little. I try to find large trees and I wear a leafy suite head to toe. If I have a idea of where the birds will come from I try to set my decoys so the birds will walk past my location to the decoys. Once the birds past me I can draw once they lock in the the decoys. Take the time and priatice shooting from your knees and seating on the ground. Good Hunting

Latest posts