Bow hunting during gun.. but why?!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Nov 7, 2020.

1. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I thought about it this year. The few places I have to gun hunt aren’t showing much potential this year, but I’ve had some decent luck on some public land.
    I think my odds of seeing a shooter buck are better on public land, and gun season is the best time.

2. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I usually take my bow opening weekend of "gun season". Have killed several deer that way. This year I'll be at Knox that weekend, bow in hand. Just my preference.

Tanker and 1wildcatfan like this.
  3. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    I usually take both. But I find that when I grab the rifle , some voodoo crap happens.

4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I like to snipe with my 30-06. Them deer have no idea I’m around till they get that shortness of breath. I like to bow hunt but when I grab my rifle I’m Carlos Hathcock in my mind.

Timholt70 likes this.
  5. vMANG

vMANG Spike

Dec 20, 2017
    Taylorsville, KY
    Hunt the WMA during Modern Firearm season. the army on surrounding private land are my best friend . Bowhunting is so quiet and relaxing.

DaveO likes this.
  6. bdl605

bdl605 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    I did 2 years ago opening morning had a doe come running past my stand about 30 seconds later a 160”ish buck came off the ridge grunting every breath and passed by about 60 yards broadside lol never to be seen again! As much as I thought I loved to bow hunt you can’t imagine how bad I wanted my 700 right then!

7. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Don’t hunt much during this time, but when I do it is always with my longbows, it’s what I enjoy. Not asking anyone else to do it!

Tanker and xbokilla like this.
  8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I used to always carry crossbow and gun. Last couple years, just gun, as I’m getting tired of carrying so much crap. I’ve also hunted a lot with my ML since you can rarely get a shot beyond 60 yds where I hunt.

9. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Years ago when I still bowhunted, I loved to hunt Ohio the week before gun season opened in Ky. The rut was in full swing up there then, I suppose it still is, I just don't hunt Ohio anymore. Plenty to hunt down here!

Dark Cloud likes this.
  10. DaveO

DaveO 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I do! ....... and YES it has burnt me a couple times. I hunt for my own reasons. I had 3 shooters this week just outside of bow range. I fail WAY more than I succeed but when it finally comes together, it’s very satisfying. FOR ME ANYWAY... good luck to all!!

11. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    I have bow hunted in the firearm season on many occasions. I try my best to be tagged out before the firearm opener and usually do. Now that my sons are old enough to hunt my time in rifle season is spent with them. It has been quite a while since I have taken a deer with a firearm. I like being in the woods anytime but shooting deer with a rifle leaves me with no sense of accomplishment. Best of luck to those who enjoy it, just not for me.

bowhunter269, elmucho277 and DaveO like this.
  12. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I have a friend that has killed 2 good bucks on opening of gun season with a bow in the last five years

13. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Really simple reason that I will sometimes bow hunt during gun season...
    The only spots I can gun hunt have really low deer numbers...
    I have a good spot on a WMA (buck and doe this year already) but it is bow only (other than a quota hunt)...
    If I had a really good spot to gun hunt, I would...

woodsman92 likes this.
  14. Anderson10

Anderson10 Fawn

Nov 5, 2018
    Kentucky
    I do it’s just what I enjoy more I agree with what was said above there’s nothing more aggravating than when you have it come so close and not work but there’s nothing more rewarding than when it all works perfect but to each his own it’s all what you enjoy

Tanker and Carpdaddy like this.
  15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I did for a few years in the late 80's/early 90's. After missing out on the third good buck, I quit. I'd rather kill with a bow, but would rather kill than not kill.....