Bourbon and whiskey

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by kyoutdoorsman, Apr 18, 2020.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Everyone will have there own opinion with this and you will see all different names and brands, thanks we you see seeing everyone is different

HeadedWest likes this.
  2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Agree with about everything but I like wheated bourbon just fine. Weller reserve is deelish and cheap! I like high ryes as well. Scotch and single malts are for livestock. I know they tend to be older and more expensive....but I think they are gross.

3. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    1. Buffalo Trace
    2. Eagle Rare
    3. Knob Creek
    4. Bottled in bond - Very old Barton. Best cheap bourbon that I've found.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Just a fun family thing to do if this social isolation crap ever ends... Have a tasting party. We do this with our son a couple times a year. He brings every bourbon he's got & we pull all ours out of the liquor cabinet & we line 'em up on the kitchen island. Then we go thru sampling... Lets you get a pretty good idea of all the different flavors AND (since we and our son all like different stuff) you're in a pretty good toasty mood when finished! lol! (If you're sober enough, you can even incorporate games like "name that bourbon".... The kid has given up on trying to trick me. I can pick my favorite Four Roses EVERY SINGLE TIME!)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  5. Withered Oak

Withered Oak Fawn

Jan 15, 2015
    Extreme Western KY
    Favorites:
    Rare Breed
    Wild Turkey
    Basil Hayden
    Ancient Age - only because of my younger days :)

Wife's favorites(ok for me):
    4 Roses
    Woodford
    And some other one Ocean something, can't remember

kyoutdoorsman and drakeshooter like this.
  6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Jefferson’s ocean. Good stuff. I liked it.

7. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i dont know enough about whisky or bourbon, to make a decent comment. i can get by on JB-Maple, its cheap enough. the best i ever had was smooth shine. i think once i had Tennessee sipping whisky, 60 proof, but it was long ago, real smooth. i'd like to get smooth shine again, if i could, guess i'll have to settle on good food., even that's a tossup. i did find a butter that i like, KerrysGold, an Irish butter., though it has nothing to do with bourbon or whiskey, its the only thing that i like, that i had found recently, in the past few months. i let y'all decide on bourbon or whiskey. for beer, i like Bud., been drinking it since 1986. they have bad days or month's were it taste like crap smells. it was made better before they put dates on the batch. now ya can keep up with them. i got up to 26 or 27 flavors, of Bud., only 2 or 3 were passable. only 1 taste great. so it goes.

8. Withered Oak

Withered Oak Fawn

Jan 15, 2015
    Extreme Western KY
    Yea it's good.... and expensive. We've only had 1 bottle and really, I'd like another. Hopefully she'll buy another one!

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I like all the jeffersons. Even the cheaper batches are great.

web splitter, HeadedWest and bondhu like this.
  10. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Jefferson's is solid. Finally found the Ocean earlier this year. Good stuff.

11. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Jefferson Presidential Select 17 & 18 were their best.

HeadedWest likes this.
  12. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    When ocean first came out it was a shelf item , now its behind the glass. But come to think of it Weller in the 90's was on the bottom shelf at Kroger.
    I agree with Ed on the Jefferson line it has some flavor. Maybe the only one across the board to challenge Buffalo Trace.

13. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
  14. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I wanna know what your thoughts are on white label HH BIb. I thought it was absolutely terrible and hilarious how the bourbon scene blew it out of proportion and bought it all up when they discontinued it because it tasted like rubbing alcohol to me

Thomas Roberts likes this.
  15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’m not a big fan of any cask strength or bottled in bond. I can drink it and some are definitely better than others....but I don’t normally like it that strong personally.