Bounty on Coyotes

predator

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2006
Leitchfield, Ky.
I'm looking for opinions. In Saskaskewan, Canada, they are now offering a $20.00 bounty on every coyote. Because of low fur prices the number of coyotes have increased to a very negative effect on livestock and wildlife populations.
Since being implemented the number of coyotes harvested has greatly increased. Is this bounty something that Kentucky needs to consider? Any thoughts?

Biscuit

6 pointer
Mar 7, 2010
DONT TREAD ON ME
In my opinion yes and no. Yes for the fact that i would be getting paid for somthing that i love to do. And no for the fact that it would probably have a drastic effect on the number of places and people that would let you hunt. Because then everybody would be wanting in on the action and that just means alot more educated dogs. That just my opinion and you know what they say about those. Biscuit:cool:

coyote caller

6 pointer
Jan 24, 2010
london ky
i would completely agree with the biscuit, maybe they could just pay me? that sounds fine but coyotes would be uncallable if that happened

skilch

6 pointer
Mar 9, 2009
Oldham County
No, bad idea. I for one don't hate the yote. I just love to hunt them. For me its all about the hunt, not about the harvest and what it would pay me when I do harvest.

Plus I make a lot more money on a time basis doing what I do to actually make money...

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
I'm looking for opinions. In Saskaskewan, Canada, they are now offering a $20.00 bounty on every coyote. Because of low fur prices the number of coyotes have increased to a very negative effect on livestock and wildlife populations.
Since being implemented the number of coyotes harvested has greatly increased. Is this bounty something that Kentucky needs to consider? Any thoughts?

Pred....this will be a long post ..just bare with me... the December 2009 issue of Predator Xtreme had an interesting article on this subject. The title of the article was "Predator Bounties" and the author was David Hart.

He listed several pro's & cons with bounties in the fairly lengthy article. Here are a few highlights as I have the copy in front of me. These are just some random paragraphs I found interesting....

"Despite a trend to eliminate bounties, many localities still pay them. Some Virginia counties pay $75 for a coyote. A handfull of Minnesota counties pay for a gopher and ground squirrel; some Texas counties pay $20 for a coyote; and the Louisiana Dept of Fish & Wildlife pays $5 for a nutria tail.

Do they(bounties) work??? The short answer is "no", at least not if the goal is to reduce species population. Despite a veritable war on coyote, they are as abundant as ever. Officials in Colorado instituted a bounty on coyote in 1915 in an effort to exterminate them. The people of Colorado blamed coyote for livestock deprediation and decreasing deer & antelope populations. Nearly 188 million were shot, trapped or poisoned between 1915 and 1947, according to Colorado's Division of Wildlifes website. Despite the effort, coyote are flourishing in Colorado today and expanding their range throughout the country."

Another paragraph concerning Utah's DNR...

" His agency( Micheal Brodenchuk USDA/ Texas director of Wildlife Services while working in Utah) only recommends intense predator control in areas that meet three criteria. 1. Deer or antelope heards are at 60% or less of the management objective. 2. Fawn survival is low: 3. and those deer or antelope herds are below management objectives are either stable or declining."

More.....

" In other words, theres a substantial difference between professional predator management and incidental take by recreational hunters, whether though incidental or intentional harvest. Recreational hunters and trappers likely wont take enough animals- even with a cash incentive- in the form of a bounty because government agencies simply dont offer enough money to create a high interest in hunting specific species"

Now my opinion.... while I'd love to collect a bounty.... I truely enjoy hunting coyotes. I consider myself still "green" to the sport but I personally dont think Ky is near implimenting a bounty. I also dont know who would pay it in these difficult economic times on a statewide level. Even if it was coffered at the sole expense of livestock associations and the like..... they would have x-amount of money and more than likely would have a cap on the bounties at some point. I just dont think it would get the desired effect and if you read up on coyotes.... it can have the opposite effect. In a nutshell... their territorial.... kill one or a group out of one area...other yotes will venture to the "new" territory and take it over. Its why many authorities on this subject will say you will never get rid of them completly.

Coyote hunting in Ky is the fastest growing type of hunting.... without reservation. I would hate to see a "bounty" degrade the sport in any way. Theres plenty willing to hunt or trap problem areas its just a matter of communicating that and opening access to the properties.

Jimmie in Ky

12 pointer
Nov 28, 2003
Mayfield, Kentucky, USA.
It has been proven repeatedly bounties do not work. Nor is there a need for them here.

Farrmers with regular problems keep a gun in or on every vehoicle. Not to mention they probably know some nut like me doing it for free. Jimmie

predator

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2006
Leitchfield, Ky.
Thanks for the excellent replies. I've read some the of studies mentioned, but was just wondering what people thought.:) The part of Sask I hunt doesn't have alot of coyote hunters, but alot of trappers.

Semp

10 pointer
Feb 4, 2008
Kaintukee
A $3.75 bounty would be nice to pay for the Dead Coyote shell. :D

Seriously though, other state's experience has shown coyote bounties don't work. The coyotes just make more little coyotes to fill the gap. :)

skin_dog1

BBBC Members
Jan 2, 2004
Bowling Green, KY, USA.
who's gonna pay the bounty? I'd much rather see the money spent on habitat enhancements than bounties. Coyotes will rebound so quickly that even extreme harvest would be over turned in just a few short years. With good habitat their hunting skills are put to the test and it gives the prey a fighting chance.

deerdad

6 pointer
Jan 17, 2010
Henderson
new at this youte thing but as a kid in ILL. we had a bounty on groundhogs
$1.00 each
you could take the ears to one township & the tail to another collect double:cool: (never did that my self)but lots of guys did plus losts of vouchers were handed out for 25 Ghogs when NONE were turned in lot of tax dollars went out we still had tons of hogs

Jimmie in Ky

12 pointer
Nov 28, 2003
Mayfield, Kentucky, USA.
While bounties don't work, it is a fact you can keep numbers down to a bearable limit. nd that is by doing just what several of you are doing right now. Every bitch you kill from now till the grass and weeds get to high to see in is a litter gone this year. Oh sure that male will find a new mate, but there will be no pups this year in that territory. You want to do some good in a specific area get out there now !!

And Deerdad has hit on why they do not work. So many of hte areas they have them in have a limit on the number of bounties paid per year, due to lack of funds. Everybody and their brother road hunts or whatever to get those first few bounties they pay out. No way can they tell what county or state the animals were killed in. Having been on predator hunting forums for many years now, I have heard the bragging of some who crossed state lines even, to collect bounties. And you can freeze feet or scalps or whatever the bounty calls for to collect your payment, just thaw before you go. Jimmie

Latest posts