Boston butts

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by kyoutdoorsman, Nov 3, 2019.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Kroger has them for 99 cents a pound

bigredhunter, barney and drakeshooter like this.
  2. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    On the way.....

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  3. I must be under a different Kroger. I have Pork tenderloins B1G1 for our pork sale this week.

4. We must be in the Memphis region on western end and y'all in Cincinnati one is what I meant. With that said the B1G1 tenderloin is a deal on page 1 of mine I generally try and hit up. They’ve had these back ribs in same awhile.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    JR in KY likes this.
  5. Bullcb69

Bullcb69 Fawn

Oct 10, 2019
    Graham ky
    I buy them up when on sale and make some into breakfast sausage then save some for the smoker

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I bought 3 earlier this week at $1.19. I may get a couple more.

drakeshooter likes this.
  7. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Gonna do some breakfast sausage. Any homemade recipes.

8. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Ac legg seasoning. What blend number do you like

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Do any of the mixes/recipes taste similar to Tennessee Pride (for example)? We tried a few mixes years ago & they were awful, bitter & waaaay too much sage. Would love to find one where we could make our own.

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I have always liked a good breakfast link sausage. I like the Bob Evans links best of the ones I've tried, but most are good. So I looked for a ginger nutmeg sausage recipe to try to duplicate the flavor.

I tried this one yesterday with one of the 99¢ butts. I only did half of the recipe with 5 lbs of meat, and it turned out really good! I'll make a full batch next round. By looking the recipe over I thought it may be a little heavy on the salt, and it was. I only used 2 tablespoons in my half batch and it was still just a wee bit heavy on salt but not by much. I also added a half tablespoon of rosemary to the ingredients in my batch.
    Also for my next batch I'll use a 3/16 plate for the second grind because I like the coarser grind best for patties. I used an 1/8" plate this time.
    Homemade Breakfast Sausage:

• 10-lbs ground pork
    • 5-tbsp salt
    • 1-tbsp ground white pepper
    • 2-tbsp rubbed sage
    • 1-tsp ginger
    • 1-tbsp nutmeg
    • 1-tbsp thyme
    • 1-pint ice water
    • 1-tbsp ground hot red pepper
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bondhu, drakeshooter and Lady Hunter like this.
  11. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Looking good Barney. I went last night to grab a couple of butts but they were out. So me and wife got a rain check for 10 guess we will be having pork all year. I said for 99 cents why not. Pork steaks,bbq,sausage,stir fry. Whoop whoop, maybe a little pork with grounder deer burger

barney likes this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks!
    We had the sausage again this morning and everyone loves it. I'll be making more soon.
    [​IMG]

13. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Can't go wrong with #10