Bobcat Hunting Help

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by trevorpt, Feb 10, 2021.

1. trevorpt

trevorpt 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern Ky - Florence
    Im really eager to shoot my first bobcat. I know the season is about to close, but would love to get one before the season ends. My only issue is that I live and hunt in Northern Ky where there are absolutely zero cats.

Does anyone have any recommendations of any public land or areas that I can hunt that holds cats? I appreciate any and all help/guidance.

Ive been looking at Peabody WMA. Has anyone had any luck there?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  2. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    It’s a crap shoot. We have cats here in marion county but I’ve only seen 1 in person in my life. Maybe someone on here that has him figured out would volunteer to hook up and get after em with you?

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Check out Daniel Boone forest!

4. ManofManyStangs

ManofManyStangs 6 pointer

May 4, 2009
    Cats are hard to hunt and call in, hunting where there is 0 cats make it impossible to get one.

5. Riflelooney

Riflelooney 6 pointer

Aug 7, 2016
    I might be able to give a few pointers; I've been fortunate with bobcats over the years. I'm in eastern ky, but have hunted Peabody for quail. It looks like great cat habitat to me. I find a lot of cats in brush choked hollows, around dry creek beds and beaver ponds. The Daniel Boone Natl' forest is a good place to start as well. Cats really like walking the logging roads.

If I'm specifically targeting cats, I don't approach it the same way I do when I'm looking for coyotes. Granted cats are where you find them, but there's a few things you can do to put the odds in your favor. In my experience; cats are far more comfortable and quicker to come to the call when you grab the shotgun and get in the thick stuff with them. Cats also don't seem to pay attention to the wind like a coyote or fox does, and rely more heavily on their eyes and ears.

hotdog likes this.