Bob cat hounds

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Grago, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Does anyone in ky run bob cats with hounds, if so what are best hound, how you actually train hound to run bob cats and do you hunt day or night time Thanks

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    My inlaws in NC run em with Walkers during the day.
    Is it legal with dogs in Ky.

3. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I dont know if its legal or not , need to look it up myself, i just seen where people run them in a lot of states, just wondered if anyone around here did

4. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I didnt find anything about the dog part , but it says daylight only and a season on them

5. gettin bit

gettin bit Fawn

Jul 14, 2017
    Woodford Co.
    I don’t do it but my brother has run coons in the past and now chases coyote and bobcats in Pennsylvania during the day. He told me if he could afford it he would own a dog bred by Mike Kemp. Good luck with ur search.

Grago likes this.
  6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    From what I hear it takes a special hound to catch bobcat. The biggamehoundsmen forum has a ton of information.

Grago likes this.
  7. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    My dads hounds tree a cat every now and then. Usually it’s a youngun if it stays in the tree. Older cats jump out before u get to the tree from what I’ve seen.

Dark Cloud and Grago like this.
  8. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I didnt realize that Mudhole, i see where they kill some up north with dogs, just was wondering if anyone here hunted them with dogs

9. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    David Peightal used to have his Bobcat Dog book on YouTube, but it’s not up now. He’s a wealth of information on hounds and Curs.

I’ve been looking for his book for probably 10 years or so. It’s scarce. They only printed a short run.

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Nothing special about my inlaws dogs. The crowd in eastern NC hunts bear, deer, foxes and bobcats with dogs. The vast majority are walkers with a few other breeds thrown it. The bear hunters are the "elite" bunch in the hunting crowd down there.

Grago likes this.
  11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    We Treed one or two cats ,back in the seventies ,when we coon hunted ,but like said when you get close to the tree ,they would jump out.

Grago likes this.
  12. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Pap is a die hard coonhunter. He’s in his 70s now and still hunting. His dogs treed several cats over the yrs. the ones that stayed in the tree long enough to get a shot were younguns. I remember in late 80s (I was around 13 yrs old) we treed one 5 times within 200 yards stretch. It would jump out before we could get to the tree. Once it jumped out the race was on for a lil ways then the dogs would tree again. The cat finally made it to cliffs then it was over. Anybody ever tree a mature cat? We sure havent

Grago and Dark Cloud like this.
  13. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    If you’re in-laws dog’s consistently catch bear, deer, foxes and bobcats then they are indeed special hounds. At first glance at outward appearances, most folks might think a bobcat dog looks run of the mill, but their hunting style and hunting sense will likely be way above average. Bobcats aren’t easy to run compared to some larger game.

Grago likes this.
  14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    When I was a kid there used to be a LOT of feral cats around here. It was almost weekly the dog would have different cat treed in the woods. Depending on the cat, they would bail out of the tree when I was anywhere from 25 to 50 yards away, whip the dog's ass, and climb another tree.

15. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Bobcats and foxes were my FILs passion. I know nothing about hunting dogs, i asked him how do you switch between foxes and cats with the same dogs. He said "you just flip a switch in em". Every truck down there has a dog box in the bed during hunting season, and back before cell phones, every truck had a whip antenna. If you didn't have a CB to keep up on the action, you might as well not even have a gun.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    KY Swamp Beagler and Grago like this.