Boat

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
I'll be in ohio river mostly between Portsmouth and Aberdeen. I was really wantin a 20ft john boat with a deep bottom and wide. But seen a good deal on a 16 footer so figured I'd ask around.

1760 or 1860 mod v with a 70+ hp motor, maybe a 90 on the 1860. I like a side console but that is just me. No problem 3 guys and a dog if the front deck is kept short on a 17 footer.

Higher sides the better imo. Wider boat will handle more motor as a rule. Need some width to float the motor, batteries, fuel, etc. My boat sits a little low in the rear.

Triton

10 pointer
Dec 7, 2006
Highway to HELL
This my friend is an under statement. I've hunted the Ohio for about 15 years now in boats as small as a 14 foot to a 20 foot and I can tell you this I am as afraid of this river today as the first day I hunted it in any size boat. When you become not afraid or loose the respect, It's time to stop.

Willy, Please don't take this wrong but I feel that I can offer some precautions. My Moms side of the family were commercial fishermen. I worked on the river (Ohio) for several years so I can speak with a little experience. I have seen fog so thick that you could not see the tow knees from the pilot house. I've seen waves wash over the bow of a towboat and wash ratchets and wires off in the river. Heard stories of men who worked on the rivers 50 years and fell over the hand rail and drowned. Without going on the answer to your question is "Yes under ideal conditions" but we know conditions can change very quickly on the river. It is a place to be respected. Bladefoot

CUT EM'

6 pointer
Aug 23, 2009
NKY
g1.jpg g2.jpg g3.jpg We run a 1754 SC Grizzly, this is our first year using a fixed blind, boat ramp is only 10 mins from the farm and so far it is working out good and saves some time in the mornings.

browningshutr

8 pointer
Apr 18, 2009
Northern Ky
Here is my 2072 Sea Ark with a 50 Honda that I use to hunt the Ohio. I use it for everything from waterfowl to spider rigging, noodling, trot lining, and bowfishing. I don't think I'll ever have anything else, unless it's a new Sea Ark.
IMG_1191.jpg
IMG_1188.jpg

bigrw

Spike
Nov 12, 2012
Canoe Creek
When I started hunting the river on my own I started out with a Lowe 1960 husky Jon with a 50 horse and this year bought a 860 war eagle with a 90 horse. There is a world of difference between the two. I use a Avery quick set blind.
2agy5yhy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

artcarney_agr

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
Here is my 2072 Sea Ark with a 50 Honda that I use to hunt the Ohio. I use it for everything from waterfowl to spider rigging, noodling, trot lining, and bowfishing. I don't think I'll ever have anything else, unless it's a new Sea Ark.

Very jealous of that rig! I believe Sea Ark is one of the best, with it's overly thick hull and lifetime hull warranty! How is that 50 hp working out for you? I would think you would want a 90 hp, or even a 115 hp for that size boat.

browningshutr

8 pointer
Apr 18, 2009
Northern Ky
Very jealous of that rig! I believe Sea Ark is one of the best, with it's overly thick hull and lifetime hull warranty! How is that 50 hp working out for you? I would think you would want a 90 hp, or even a 115 hp for that size boat.

I would love to have a 90 tiller on it, but the 50 does surprisingly well. I love this boat!!! It is a joy to take out whenever I get the chance.

Latest posts