Boat Concealment

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Tman6493, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Yea, bank your boat, put blind up & throw out a couple doz. decoys. Then go down a couple hundred yards, drop 2 or 3 decoys & hide. Should be good to go.

bondhu likes this.
  2. Big Snuff

Big Snuff Fawn

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    All this bank hunting that's going on reminds me of why my local game warden always has 4 ink pins in his front pocket.

If your on the Big O, better make sure you have permission from the landowner before you "build a blind" and "ditch the boat" to duck hunt. Or, have a good lawyer with ya.

B.M. Barrelcooker likes this.
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Got 2 places on Big O with permission. I place on Big O I can walk in permission. 2 Places on Ky river permission Salt River 1 permission. Guist Creek lake permission of a bunch of land owners. On Taylorsville lake don't need permission. But you are right A LOT of places you need permission.

4. Big Snuff

Big Snuff Fawn

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    Glad to see some guys follow the rules. There are a lot of new guys (duck dynasty bunch) that think you can hunt anywhere you want along the bank without landowners permission. Some of them have gotten the paperwork (ticket) that says otherwise.

There are many places I know we could kill a lot more ducks if we could get out of the boat, however that isnt always an option for us without trespassing.

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    True that, I been hunting these flat foots since 1974. No matter what im hunting or fishing I always ask permission first. Places I found on Big O I found spots. Marked it on River map. Then went searching for who owns the land. Once found I always asked then explained. I don't want to hunt your land or cross your land. Just permission to sit on the bank and shoot Ducks. 3 of the places I found 2 gave written permission. One wouldn't give it at all. Around Guist creek lake I know every farmer around it. Some I boat to. Some I can just drive thru the farm.

6. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    I didn’t know you could hunt guist creek even with permission. I fish there a lot when other lake levels are low just sense it stays the same year round

7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YES it is open to Waterfowl. F&W has a 25 foot buffer around the lake. You can stay on the buffer zone you are ok. But need to boat to most places. But if you get 25 feet from water line you are on private property. Been hunting it since 1974. But it is a HIT MISS lake. If ponds are open not many Birds on the lake. When things freeze up and you cant launch boat from ramp. Birds on the lake.

8. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    your trespassing on the big o as soon as you leave the ramp even ole green Jean's 4 pen knows that's italls river.

9. Big Snuff

Big Snuff Fawn

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    I am not scared of Itall. I have known him since he was a pup. Too bad he went and got all wifed up and taken out of the game. He was a good sport. He was the only guy I would see when I was out hunting during the February taxidermy season. It always made me feel safe knowing I was on his river and he was the only other guy out there. If I had boat trouble and broke down, I could always count on him to drive by and give me the finger.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.