Bluejays and acorns

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Cornpile, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    My next door neighbor has a loaded big oak in his backyard. I been watching bluejays
    picking and packing acorns off of it for a week. There is a bunch of them,maybe twenty bluejays
    or more. They are flying somewhere with them in their beaks. They are making trip after
    trip all day long.Anybody ever seen them do this ?
    bjay.jpg

hotdog and timer like this.
  2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    That's wild. Cant say I've ever seen that. I'd suggest following them and hanging a stand. There's a serious pile of acorns somewhere lol

Cornpile likes this.
  3. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    I have seen blue Jays piled up like that just kind of swarming an area over and over . I just never could see what they were after , pretty interesting .

4. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I’ve seen them pecking at acorns and knocking them out of the tree but never carrying them away.

5. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Cool picture. I have seen them do it before. I have also witnessed woodpeckers pick up corn from a feeder or pile and wedge the corn in bark on trees. I guess they plan on coming back and getting it later.
    Thanks for sharing!

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Neighbor squirrel hired them at minimum wage for the weekend to haul his nuts while he is out chasing tail.

bondhu and carnivore like this.
  7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Yes and they will flat wear out the corn too.

8. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    See massive numbers of Jays do the same in my yard each year.

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The birds are gonna take over. There's a population explosion of Blue Jays around here the likes of I've never seen. Basically no tree or bush fruit without protection the last 3 or 4 years. Just as soon as fruit blushes they are pecking it from the trees. I also witnessed yesterday a huge flock of grackles swarming through the woods eating every single acorn from the oaks, both red and white oak. I've never saw that before!

10. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt Spike

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Funny this topic comes up today...

I was in my blind yesterday, just relaxin' with the binoculars. I get to watching this blue jay as he landed on the ground and picked up an acorn. I was thinking he was going to peck it apart and eat it. I was wrong... about the pecking it apart part. He swallowed it whole!! Thought of that happening never crossed my mind. Thought I might have been mistaken, but I watched him as he choked down 2 more... whole!!!
    I dont know how their stomachs work, but could be the first blue jay to starve to death with a full stomach.

11. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I didnt want to chime in like I knew what I was talking about, because I dont lol But I had to look it up when i read the OP. Turns out they can break them with their lower jaw or can load their mouth with up to 6 acorns and store them for the winter. Pretty dang amazing.

12. rackstacker

rackstacker 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2011
    Blue jays are some of the best nut tree planters we have behind squirrels.

13. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    That's an awesome photo!

We have a willow oak (tiny acorns) and a pin oak (small acorns) and lots of blue jays in our back yard and I've never seen then eat an acorn. Probably because my wife scatters so much shelled corn and seed....

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    We have a bunch of shingle oaks with the tiny acorns. The bluejays, and other birds burn them up in the fall.

15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    A birds crawl (gizzard) is made to break down food, that’s the reason they pick up small gravels.Just like a chicken ,I’ve killed grouse with several different stages ,of dissolving acorns in their crawl.

bondhu and barney like this.