Bluegrass Army Depot Duck Hunt

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by greenhead1983, Dec 5, 2011.

1. greenhead1983

greenhead1983 6 pointer

Sep 12, 2007
    horse county
    Anybody else get drawn for this?

2. PintailFreak

PintailFreak 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2009
    Central Kentucky
    yes, got my papers in mail this week

3. CHL

CHL 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2008
    Central KY
    From what I understand, there weren't that many people that put in, so anyone who submitted an application to hunt got drawn. Sucks you can't bring someone with ya though.

4. rcr_83

rcr_83 Fawn

Aug 27, 2007
    Richmond, KY
    Ill be there. Just wonder why they are doing it so late.

5. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    It wasn't a lottery. It was a signup and once full, nobody else could signup. Only 32 people signed up though, so it was never full. Only the Deer and Turkey hunts are a lottery according to their site.

They may have done it so late because they have deer hunts going on before then and a youth rabbit hunt a week or two before. May be a resources issue.

But yes, I'll be there too. Any idea about the blind situation? The paperwork sent says that we will be grouped with other hunters and put into blinds. But it also says we can bring ground blinds, etc.

6. PintailFreak

PintailFreak 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2009
    Central Kentucky
    It will all probably be frozen up at the time of the hunt. Would surprise me a bit.

7. grunt

grunt Fawn

Dec 2, 2011
    does anyone have there site by chance?

8. WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi 12 pointer

Apr 13, 2005
    Richmond
    If they hunt the big lake, not a chance. I've seen a TON of birds come off of there when everything else in the area is locked up.

BUT, if they hunt the big lake...good luck getting your birds without a dog or boat. What a mismanaged resource...

9. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    I'll try to ask about that, but I ASSUME that boats will be provided as they are for fishing out there. Dogs are allowed. Private boats are not allowed.

I guess I need to try to partner with someone with a good dog. I have another buddy coming as well. Anyone with a dog need some company? I'll bring coffee.

10. Bandit29

Bandit29 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2008
    Everybody is supposed to draw for blinds the morning of the hunt. No boats, but said they would help hunters get birds if they are to fall out on water and no dog or way to get them. We'll have our layout blinds. Was told there are different spots, some on ponds, lakes and fields. We'll see what happens. Kind of thinking most should be froze up during the hunt but never know, still looking forward to going. I know the birds will get hunted outside of the depot but hopefully not being hunted on the depot will give everybody a good hunt.

11. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    Sounds good. I guess I'll bring my layout.

12. Bandit29

Bandit29 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2008
    It says no cutting of natural vegetation in the fact sheet, so I guess we all need to have our blinds camo'ed up and have different types of stuff with us depending on where you end up. Also I imagine that since its a 1 day deal at the depot and we will all be fairly easily accessed, we can expect "johnny law" to be checking our stuff. Better make sure all your stuff is legit!

13. red-s10

red-s10 Banned

Mar 22, 2011
    huntin
    Best hunted in February.

14. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    If anyone else didn't receive the weapon registration and background check forms, PM me. There should have been 4 forms in the packet sent, but apparently more than one person only received 2 forms.

15. PintailFreak

PintailFreak 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2009
    Central Kentucky
    I only received 2 forms. I filled them out and sent them back in. I already have done a background check for the Wounded Warrior hunt this weekend so I assume I won't need another one. Although I haven't filled out a weapon registration form. I assume they will mail us the form again if they don't have it on file.