Blue Diamond Voucher Tract - Elk Cow Archery

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by andersonhunter, Sep 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. andersonhunter

andersonhunter Fawn

Jun 2, 2010
    Anderson County
    Looking for any assistance/information you can provide on the Blue Diamond Voucher tract. Will be archery hunting for cow elk during the opening week, 10/17. We know it will be a difficult hunt and the success rate is the lowest of all the draw types, so any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. andersonhunter

andersonhunter Fawn

Jun 2, 2010
    Anderson County
    Anybody? Also, any information on at-large areas would be welcome.

3. dmullins

dmullins 6 pointer

Aug 3, 2006
    Letcher County
    A lot of acorns this year. Expect them to be in the timber and on oak ridges.

4. andersonhunter

andersonhunter Fawn

Jun 2, 2010
    Anderson County
    Thanks dmullins. We had a bunch of acorns fall in the central KY area. That was after a pitiful crop last year.

5. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Quite a few elk in there last year if you can fight off the outfitters to hunt em. They should be some there.

6. andersonhunter

andersonhunter Fawn

Jun 2, 2010
    Anderson County
    Tough hunting during cow archery. Very dry and it seems like there has been a lot of pressure from the bull gun hunt. ATV and tire tracks everywhere. I have found old sign from the past week, but nothing fresh. I'll take any information, if you have it. Thanks

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Good luck. Sorry, but not been over since first bull firearm weekend. We didn't see many cows at all. Acorn crop is pretty good, so as other's have said, concentrate on the timber. Gonna be tough. Might be better later in the season when food sources are fewer....

8. andersonhunter

andersonhunter Fawn

Jun 2, 2010
    Anderson County
    That's exactly what I was thinking bgkyarcher. Looks like we will be hitting record or near record high temperatures over the next couple of days. We will give it a few more shots this week and then have to figure out our return strategy.

9. C.O.D.

C.O.D. 8 pointer

May 11, 2005
    Lex, KY
    good luck

10. Stuart Eddy

Stuart Eddy Fawn

Jul 18, 2016
    check any north facing slope that looks dark or shaded on google earth, on the first bench below where they might feed on a stripped area above. If there's oak trees on that same slope, they will be there, or will be at some point. It proved fool proof for us in our hunting. They didn't make a sound all weekend, but the bulls were still herding cows around. We saw a dozen at one point

11. Smokerja

Smokerja Fawn

May 10, 2016
    Andersonhunter I just got accepted for the Blue Diamond Tract today after trying everyday since July. I also have the cow archery tag and spent all wkend hunting up there on At Large areas. I have a guide and we spent sat and Sun just trying to locate elk. They are currently wearing out the timber and acorns. I was unable to fill my tag this wkend and will be headed back up the first of Nov and hopefully it will cool off by then. Good luck

12. andersonhunter

andersonhunter Fawn

Jun 2, 2010
    Anderson County
    Smokerja, did you ever make it back? We are hoping to go back there around the end of November.

13. Smokerja

Smokerja Fawn

May 10, 2016
    No sir I haven't. I got a private farm I've hunted couple times but only saw a couple bulls. We plan to go Blue Diamond at the end of Nov or Dec maybe they will be out of the timber by then. My guide tells me they will be a lot easier to pattern when they start hitting the grass again. Good luck