Blue cats!

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by kyhunter99, Jun 5, 2019.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    The only read I ask is you may want to research what the local forage is. See what they regularly feed on

aceoky and Nock like this.
  2. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Well, this lake is packed with tiny bluegill. My friend even nabbed a 8lb cat out of here on cut bluegill. This place has all 3 larger species of cat in it. But the mystery is even with blue there wasnt a noticable decrease in gill numbers.

3. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Im out again this morning. At a different lake this time. Guy said cats were biting like crazy. He said cut gill is his 3rd choice but thats what i got had a big hit on it earlier but the reel was engaged by accident. I dove for my rod but i guess it was too late and that was the end of it. But it was probably a turtle.
    Just watching still lines now.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  4. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

If you want to catch blues, fish in the rivers. KY, Ohio, Etc. Like some have stated, high water in the willows or below the dams during normal conditions. Blues seem to school. If you find a school feeding, action can be fast.

aceoky likes this.
  5. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Finding these things hard to believe anymore.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  6. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Ky
    Biggest blue for me on a reel is 13lbs I believe. It was in a pond. But we caught a bunch that size. It’s fun.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  7. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Ok, new plan will include catalpa worms.
    All else fails i think ill go with a guide service likely in cincinnati since im not a fan of TN traffic.

Might have to seek professional help by the fall/winter! Haha

8. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    The GAP is the "it" for circles why large ones still catch smaller fish (so long as they can get the hook in their mouths of course) the bait Must leave plenty of room for the circle hook to rotate into hooking position (also properly snelling makes a huge difference-always start the snell on the hook point side with your line)it's a huge learning curve IMO for most of us who for decades used other styles, but once you see how well they work most will continue to use them (they make up 90% of my hooks easily)

barney likes this.
  9. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Snell?

10. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    How-to-Tie-a-Snell-Knot.jpg

aceoky, kyhunter99 and bondhu like this.
  11. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    So a snell knot with a circle hook.
    I have some questions about rigging, im a bank fisher--but things like leaders, sinkers, etc. I need advice here. Whats a great way to rig?

aceoky likes this.
  12. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Two that I use the most are the Carolina rig and Santee Cooper rig(with slip sinker pegged usually with a stop knot) also three way rigs are good below dams and swift current situations IMO. Google those , learn them you'll be glad you did! No roll sinkers are good in current, good swivels are important!

Some good U tube channels to help you learn :

Steve Douglas
    Catfish & Carp
    Catfish Dave (bank fishes the TN river around Knoxville TN)

Still have questions? I'd be happy to help.

Nock, kyhunter99 and KYBOY like this.
  13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I like sinker sliders. That way I can take my sinkers off or change sizes quickly. I like river sinkers and flat bank sinkers. They hold in current without sliding. I’ll take a pic in a little bit

aceoky likes this.
  14. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Sinker sliders are great! They also have the advantage of adding big ole cat floats easily (and removing them) I sometimes use two (one for weight and one so I can add float if desired)

KYBOY likes this.
  15. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Ill check those out aceoky

aceoky likes this.