Blind or No Blind?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by hollandhunter, Apr 11, 2018.

1. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Well im normally a run and gun type of turkey hunter. But broke down and bought a new blind yesterday from cabelas. My old ones have about had it even though i never used them much. Im gonna try it this year because my little girl wants to kill a bird and she is just not ready to run and gun yet. Plus our best farm is mostly fields anymore and i think a blind will work well. Not to mention the weather forcast stinks for this coming weekend and week.
    Seems everyone is hunting out of a blind anymore with decoys. I have a buncha decoys just rarely use them. Was wondering just how many people here hunt a blind most of the time vs run and gun? An what is your favorite style? Run and gun,reaping,blind hunting or what?

2. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Run and gun. I really don’t enjoy hunting out of a blind. Maybe I’m claustrophobic.

hollandhunter likes this.
  3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I rarely use a blind. Only if hunting with a kid, raining, or bowhunting.

cedar ridge likes this.
  5. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I wouldn't describe my style of hunting as run n gun but I'd much rather be sitting beside a tree than hunting from a blind. That being said, there are just some instances where if you're going to be out there ya need to be in a blind. I'm blessed that I'm able to take vacation and hunt every day of the season and usually if it's blind weather I just don't hunt. If you are limited in time or taking new or less mobile hunters, I see nothing wrong with using a blind. Good Luck to all this opener and if it storms, yall be careful of lightning.

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    A blind is your best bet when hunting with a youngster. You can always ditch the blind and move with the kid. I like those little fold up portable blinds that stick in the ground when walking and gunning with a kid. Taking a comfortable seat and thermacell along for the youngster is a must. If they aren’t comfortable they’ll move.

Blinds get hotter than hell inside by the end of season. I like a good shade tree and a nap.

7. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    My running and gunning days are about over . I do hunt from blinds quite a bit and enjoy hunting from them with my grandson.

wv67 likes this.
  8. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    With the late foliage this year I would do the blind! At least start there and you can always run and gun from there!

9. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I like to prop against a tree , if I have a youngster or new hunter I use a blind , and if I hunt with my buddy we use a blind he loves hunting out of one

10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    i like hunting from a blind, but don't hardly ever use decoys.

11. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I absolutely love sitting in a blind all day long. LOVE IT!!!! I’m blessed to hunt some great property and I know where the birds will be. I take my blind, set up, set out the decoys, put the bow in the holder, and I’m good to go!!! I set back and enjoy God’s creation. Last year, my daughter and I had a young bull elk less than 10 yards from the blind for over 30 minutes. Pretty cool. Year before I had 3 cow elk come in and try to play with my decoys. I can sleep, eat, play on my phone, whatever without getting busted. It’s just the way I like to hunt. That’s one of the great things about hunting, you can do it the way you want and like.

Mainbeam likes this.
  12. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    My preferred style is to ride around in the truck until we spy a bird and grab the fans and get to crawling. Blind hunting isnt bad. i had alot of fun this past weekend but my first choice would be reaping , then running and gunning, then blind hunting.

13. cedar ridge

cedar ridge 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2015
    South Central KY
    Like many others, mainly only when hunting with a youth hunter. Run and gun is my preferred method when hunting alone. Ready for the weekend!

14. kill'n and grill'n

kill'n and grill'n Fawn

Apr 17, 2012
    Madison Co.
    I prefer to run & gun but sometimes you have to “deer hunt’em”

15. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I've never turkey hunted out of a blind, always run and gun, but I may try a blind!