Blind hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by woodsman92, Apr 22, 2021.

1. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    i have owned a blind for a few years but never used it. I’ve always liked to run and gun so dont want to be weighed down. Since I pretty much only get to hunt weekends and looks like Saturday may be a wash out, I was thinking of breaking the blind out. My question is if I set up the blind Saturday morning on a field edge, can it be successful or does it need to sit there a while for them to get used to it being there?

Recurve77, xbokilla and RLWEBB like this.
  2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    They don’t care. Turkeys aren’t scared or alarmed by a blind popping up in the living room. Deer are the complete opposite. The turkeys won’t give it a second glance. You’re good to go. Set it and hunt.

3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Like RL said, they won’t pay it any attention.

4. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Thanks, that’s what I thought I had heard before but wasn’t sure and didn’t want to scare and educate them. So y’all don’t put forth a lot of effort brushing them in?

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    A little brush doesn't hurt a thing

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Set it up in a spot with short grass. That’s where they will be. You can set it up before daylight and hunt it. They pay zero attention to a blind.

7. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Like others have said these birds here don’t pay it no mind. I don’t hunt in them but don’t blame ya if you do. But they don’t care here.
    But on the other hand for what’s it’s worth. I hunted in Mexico in a blind. Them dang occelated Turks wants them brushed in from what I gathered. I hunted in a blind there and it was brushed in real well.

RLWEBB likes this.
  8. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Sort of. Deer are bothered by new blinds during deer season, when you are actually hunting them. He will likely see a blue million deer out of the blind since it’s turkey season.

9. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I have packed them in and literally set them in the middle of a freshly cut field and killed turkeys same day. The first blind i ever had was a spring steel type. Only time i used it was fall when the big groups of hens were bunched up. Id run through them like a mad man and they would scatter in all directions. I would "pop" that blind up right there and call them back! Was almost 100 percent effective back then. Now those flocks are all but gone so haven't done that in 8-10 years.

Feedman, Timholt70 and dirtstalker like this.
  10. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    They don’t pay it any attention. While I was home last time off, I set one up at 2pm at 2:30 had hens out in the food plot walking all around it

Timholt70 likes this.
  11. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Since I pretty much been confined to a blind the last few years, I feel as tho I could coment on this, I put some pics on here of some things that make a very comfortable sit, I say sit because what I do anymore I wouldnt really call huntin. I have a gun rest, little buddy heater, artic shield boot blankets, thanks to a friend on here, a chair more comfortable than anything at the house. But its blind or nothing for me looks like, I usually always end up killin a couple or 1 anyway, I get so aggravated and depressed ,at the same time, having to hunt like this, when I hear one gobbling his head off on the other side of the holler, and cant go to him. but I have also killed some, if I could walk better, I would have already moved on. I could have already tagged out , but havent pulled the trigger, I dont have anything else to do anyway. But as others have said, you should be able to set up a blind and do fine, field is where you definately want to be in the rain. Good Luck,

Attached Files:

12. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    @Grago not a thing wrong with hunting like that. I know it can get aggravating, but it works, and it still allows you to be out there doing what you love. Im all about being comfortable. As i tell people all the time..if i can hunt comfortably..i will. No since in being miserable or uncomfortable trying to do something you enjoy.

Timholt70 and Grago like this.
  13. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I agree Dirtstalker, but when you have run up and down hills and hollers as many years as I have, this just dont feel right.

Timholt70 likes this.
  14. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I got ya.

15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I c
    At 84.5, Daddy's days of chasing birds are over too. He doesn't always sit in a blind, but he sets up somewhere, and that's pretty much his hunt for that trip. If I'm with him, and I hear a bird within reasonable range, we will make a move. But if he's by himself, that option is long gone... He just can't hear them anymore, even with the hearing aids. Bird gobbled within 100 yards of us Saturday morning, he never heard it. He just can't hear that frequency any longer. It sucks, but he still tries. He hunted this morning, but I haven't talked to him yet to see how he did.