Blackpowder Handgunnin'

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Buk Bust'r, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Buk Bust'r

Buk Bust'r 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2005
    Russell Springs, KY
    Made my first sit of the year yesterday on the stand. After having to give up bowhunting due to a herniated disk, it'd got me down a bit. I missed the early season hunts too much and hadn't been out hunting with a frontstuffer for almost a decade.

I switched over to handgun hunting only back some time avo. Earlier this year, I acquired a custom Gonic .50 Cal frontstuffer barrel for my Contenders. At 24", was too long to easily run it as a handgun. Being I do some gun work, I cut her back to 18" & recrowned her. Sweated the front sight on and I now had myself a handy little package. After I gave her a coat of graphite black Cerakote, I mounted a Bushnell Trophy 2x6 handgun scope. Running a 240gr saboted XTP over 90gr of Triple 7, she's accurate beyond belief for a frontloader.

Opening morning of the blackpowder season found me on my old standby hunting spot. I accounted for three deer in two seasons running with the Contender during modern gun season. About 8:30, I watched this big spike amble out in the creek bottom. Decided to cull this fella and managed to get it on video........

Here's the video..... http://youtu.be/vV6Brclb11g

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. yelper

yelper 8 pointer

Nov 17, 2003
    Congrats that is cool

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yep that's cool. I had at one time a 50 cal Knight BP handgun. I couldn't figure out the exact load it liked and sold it to a guy from Indiana. This is like mine except mine had shadow black wood.
    [​IMG]

4. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Cool looking spike! Congrats on a fine harvest.

5. Buk Bust'r

Buk Bust'r 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2005
    Russell Springs, KY
  6. Born to Hunt

Born to Hunt 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2005
    Edmonton, KY
    Way to go buddy!! I'm coming to see you soon...text me when you have some work to do...I wanna see some cerakote applied!!

7. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    Sweet. Nice shootin', and thanks for sharing. Congrats.

8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Nice job, I really like your rig.