Black warts?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Chimpy, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    I know I've seen a similar thread on here, but I have a decent buck that has a couple hundred black skin tags/warts/growths all over his face, legs, body. I'd post a pic if I knew how. A couple other deer also have just a few of these things. Does anyone know if this is a concern? Should I eliminate this deer? Is the meat safe to eat? He looks like he's covered in flies but they're not flies.

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    It’s a virus. Pretty gross. Cutaneous fibromas. They say you can eat them because the growths are on skin deep. I ain’t trying it though. They also say that most cases last a couple years and then the deer gets better. We have a picture of one that looks like it could kill him. Quit baiting.

flyingnectar likes this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Talk about epic appetizers at a cookout.. And no one would know!

JR PORTER likes this.
  4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Hahahah. I meant the meat Barney. Not the warts. Vomit.

barney likes this.
  5. 3PointSlayer

3PointSlayer Fawn

Aug 3, 2021
    Between The Bridges
    Maybe that new strand of covid

6. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    I will quit baiting as soon as folks stop planting food plots and using mineral licks. And as soon as the deer quit sharing liking branches, and oak trees stop dropping their acorns so close together. If the deer would just wear there masks we could rid the world of warts.

7. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Every case I have seen only lasts a year. Never seen it two years in a row on the same deer at my place.

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Yeah I don’t really care what you do….but bait piles this time of year tend to be good vectors of transmission. No way around that. Happy hunting.

theprofessor likes this.