Black Buzzards

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Carl, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Dark Cloud likes this.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    They are mean bastards. Deal with them accordingly

Carl likes this.
  3. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    They come in early spring and are all over KY. They have killed calves for me and they will kill about anything they can even chickens.
    It is illegal to kill them But , But , But it happens.

4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    See them all the time. But getting less. Have permit to kill em since they attack my calves. I just use S not SSS Shoot em leave em lay. They see me out now they dont hang around long. If so they die.

RLWEBB, littlebear, Meatstick and 2 others like this.
  5. NJohnson

NJohnson Spike

Nov 3, 2018
    Verona ky
    Anytime I happen to find one with a bullet hole in it I leave them out in the fields and it seems to keep the others away for a minute. Typically if I see them eating the cows afterbirth the little mean black headed bastards will fight off the typical red headed ones.

Carl likes this.
  6. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Where did these originally cone from? I never heard of them back in the day. ;)

Dark Cloud likes this.
  7. ABLongbow

ABLongbow 6 pointer

Aug 10, 2018
    Morgan County
    They killed my buddy's cab last year you can get a permit to kill them

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
  9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Hang one by his feet from a low hanging tree limb in a area where you see them often or just leave them laying on the ground. Either way works in keeping them away.

10. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    A lot of em come from California,but they’re from all over

11. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    They way I understand it they came from Mexico and that gives them the migratory bird name. They are Federally protected :);) .

I watched them one time on a neighbors farm across from our fence . A cow he had had just calved and there was at least 40 buzzards there waiting.
    The front buzzard walked toward the cow with its wings spread out wide . As it walked it made a wobble with its wings like you would with both hands when moving cattle. The cow moved off and the other buzzards moved in behind the one with his wings spread out. Me and my son went down there and got them away from the newborn calf . My son went and told our neighbor and he said he was having lots of problems with those buzzards.

Carl likes this.
  12. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    About all you see here anymore.

Carl likes this.
  13. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    We treat them like a flying coyote. Kill them all. They will peck the eyes outta the calve as soon as it comes out. I have seen them bother the mother so much that she gets up mid birth and try’s to walk away they just follow behind her. After you loose 4-5 calves to them blasted things it’s shoot on sight. Don’t mistake the red headed juveniles they have a grey head and are smaller. You see them this time of year. But you can tell they have a totally diff personality then them black headed ones. I heard they came from Africa via Mexico.

Carl, barney, NOCAMST and 2 others like this.
  14. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    That's what the majority around here are anymore. Everybody out here shoots them, and will continue to do so.

Drahts, barney, Nock and 2 others like this.