bird hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by red, Nov 22, 2002.

1. red

red Fawn

Nov 22, 2002
    Lexington, Ky.
    I am new to hunting in Kentucky and was wondering about public land around Lexington. I am looking for decent places to hunt grouse or quail. I have a brittany and want to take him out this weeknd to see what he can do.

2. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Red send GSP an e-mail, he maybe able to help.

3. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Wish I knew the answer to that one myself. We grouse hunted Wolfe county yesterday. We heared 2 fly and got 2 points. Did not get a shot at either.
    For grouse you will need to drive east a least an hour to find grouse.

4. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    How did you know you had two points?

5. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    It's easy to tell when a GSP is pointed, there is always a bird out in front of it!!![:D]
    Unlike the setters[:D]

6. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    Oh no, here we go again! I went to Jackson Co. Wednesday, hunted the Daniel Boone National Forest. I hunted 2 hours had 5 points, 6 flushes, shot twice, killed two birds. Musta been the black lab...or the setters?

You just have to find the young stuff, I hunted the DBNF in Menifee/Powell county last week, bagged two that day.

[​IMG]

7. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Looks like you had a good day, CSS! Personally, I'd give the credit to the setters, but I may be biased.[:D]

As we talked about after last season, get in touch when you may be around Carter Co. or I'll be happy to meet you somewhere in the middle and we can chase'm around some.

I came across a SxS muzzleloading shotgun and have been wanting to try the Pioneer Weapons Area, do you know much about that area?

Have a good weekend!

8. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Dang that CSS is one huntin' son-of-a-gun! You kinda remind me of one of those field-trial pointers- you take a long time before you check back in. Don't be gone so long next time.

9. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I've been lurking some, hunting more! I just had to give gsp a response about the setter bashing. I hunted with a gsp once, he did retrieve well, only points he had were backing my setters!

10. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Looks like ya had a good hunt there CSS. I'm laying off setter bashing this year. Except Birdman's[;)].
    I wanted to say "thanks" for the help the other day. Mrs. Welch contacted me and said her class really enjoyed it. She said that she had students coming up to her all day saying they learn a lot and wanted to know more.
    So y'all will know CSS and me were invited to do a 90 minute lecture on the VALUE of hunting as a management tool. Believe it or not, this happened in a PUBLIC school!!!! Thanks again.
    Rick- GSP

11. Xtreme

Xtreme Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    GSP: All I can say is that it does my heart very proud to hear that CSS is running around with you. Finally, with your influence he may learn a few things and come to respect natural born wise old farts like yourself, Multi an me!![:eek:)][:eek:)][:D][:D]

12. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
  13. Xtreme

Xtreme Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    It just goes to show you Joe[CSS]...You can run but not hide on this website ....[:eek:)]...I will find you![;)] How have you been[?] Drop me an E-mail and tell me all about your season. God, you look terrible in Orange[:D][:D][:eek:)].....Rick.

14. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Sorry to dissapoint you X, but I was the one doing the learning.
    CSS did a good job with the kids and really came to my aid.

15. Xtreme

Xtreme Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    I can relate to that GSP. Darn him[CSS]...I really do like him just I hate for him to know it[:eek:)][:D][:eek:)][:D]