Bird guns, talking shotgunning?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Happy Camper, Jul 26, 2017.

1. RussBirdHunter

RussBirdHunter Fawn

Nov 13, 2017
    Frankfort
    I have a side by side 20 ga. made LC Smith that I carry most of the time. I also have a little Remington special field in 20 gauge I pull out if I want to kill birds. First gun was a wingmaster 12 gauge. Weighed a ton but I lugged it all over South Eastern Kentucky growing up.

bondhu and HCDH66 like this.
  2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    If I ever got back into bird hunting, it would be a featherweight Franchi in 20 guage. Man I miss quail hunting. I never understood why anyone used an O/U or SBS on quail. Why just shoot twice when you can shoot three times? Daddy and I would kill 3 on a rise many times each season.

HCDH66 likes this.
  3. JGD

JGD 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2008
    Nelson County
    I grew up using my Dad's Sweet 16 so when Browning announced a run of Citori's in 16, I had to have one. Bought it in 1987 and have used it for quail, dove and pheasant. Just recently bought a Rem 1148 in 16 and believe I will like that too.

John

4. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I never believed in Santa anymore than the year he convinced my wife to buy me a silver pigeon.

FOWLER2671 and RussBirdHunter like this.
  5. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I got a used browning sweet 16 for my 16th birthday. It was solid rib modified 28 inch bbl. When I could afford it I bought a new IC 26 barrel. I hunted everything with those two barrels through college. Then I got a 12 ga 3 in 870 wingmaster for ducks , and shot it for waterfowl ever since, and added a 12 ga 3 in SP wingmaster 3 in for turkeys . I had a Single shot NEF 10 I used for turkeys as well. "Killed on one end, and maimed on the other".

For upland birds I bought a used 12 gauge belgian superposed 26 in 1974. I shot that for years for all upland birds, and since then have bought some other used SP and added some 20 gauge SP bird guns. My favorite now is an early 50s 26.5 in solid rib barrel 20 gauge with fixed cyll /Imp cyl. I started hunting in far west for chukar in steep rough country back in 90s , and i was falling so much I bought a citroi used to the the scars those western river canyons can hand out. Have inherited some other guns, like model 42 410, a 28 ga 870 wingmaster, another sweet 16 and several others.

Truth is the 870 wingmasters out of the box seem to fit me best .

6. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
    I have a CZ USA Pheasant sxs 20 GA., love it, handles and shoots well. Good dove and quail. I grew up with a sxs 20 GA. Lefever, why I got stupid and sold it is beyond me now.

7. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Good Luck Happy,that’s quite the list.

8. kycommander

kycommander Fawn

Aug 10, 2015
    Jamestown, KY
    While I don’t have a CZ bobwhite I do have 4 CZ o/u’s in the safe and I have been very pleased with them all. I’m certain the bobwhite would serve you well.

9. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    My dad has a Franchi Instinct SL, it has been nothing but trouble. He sent it back after a week or two of buying it new, because high powered shells would kick it back on safe and then you couldn't fire it a second time. After having this issue a couple times, he just reserved it for a grouse gun shooting only low powered shells. This year while walking a trail, we had a covey of grouse come up around us from a point, i got a double , he put his first down, then gun wouldn't shoot. The next grouse he shot at, the safety completely fell out. I hope he has been the only one to have this kind of luck with it, but it has been a very bad gun.

10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    This year I’ll probably pheasant hunt with a early 70’s model wing master 16ga.
    I have a superposed lightning that shoots like a dream and shoulders like it’s part of me but it has 32” barrels choked full and improved modified. Not exactly a bird gun