bird dog questions

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Jbones, Jan 7, 2014.

1. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Decisions.... Don't take any single persons advice as the only possible option. Many people also base the entire breed out of what they've seen from a single dog.

2. mlittle

mlittle 6 pointer

Apr 18, 2009
    Versailles, KY
    I agree with Brett. Dont rush it.

I will tell you that if you are going with a Britt, Bob Hardin is a class act. You can take what he says to the bank. Good man. one of my 4 Britts is from Bob. I like him as someone to do business with, and he has some nice dogs.

I would check with Hardy Jaggers in Sonora KY and see if he has any pups on the way, if you are wanting to see some nice GSP's. He has some nice ones. Hardy always has good dogs.

If you want to go with some wire haired dogs (GWP), I would see what Joey Preston in Paris has coming. I think he will be having some soon.

Any of those guys will be good ones.

I will most likely have some Britt pups in the summer. I am going to breed my liver Oakley dog the next time she comes in.

3. Jbones

Jbones Spike

Oct 26, 2012
    nicholasville
    With what you just said, how do you feel about labs?

4. largefrag

largefrag Spike

Dec 16, 2009
    Lexington
    I have hunted with my to fair share of labs. Some good and most so so. Some can be extremely biddable and easy to train and others can be nuts. I'm not a lab guy but they seem to be all over the place in the type of dog you might end up with. I also don't like the fact that most that I have seen had very little nose or use of their nose and required a lot of handling to find game. They might be serviceable in the pheasant fields but probably far from someone's top choice for other types of upland game. A good pointing lab might work out nice for you but they will be tough to find, especially local and in the price range you indicated in your earlier post.

As far as retrieving goes, that's their specialty but unless you train them to the nth degree, many other versatile breeds will be just as good if not better for retrieving a variety of game and putting meat on the table, they just go about it a little differently.

All that being said, I would never have a lab. I have a very biased view but I would put my dog/ breed up against most lab any day in the duck blind and all day every day in the bird fields. DD's aren't for everyone though. They take a great deal of work to train in order to bring out the best in them and they are very smart and Can be mischievous, hard headed and will test you often to make sure you are the boss but if you or consistent with them they are amazing hunting dogs....but that can be said for any hunting dog.

You need to take your time, educate yourself before you make a decision and make sure you are willing to put in the work after you select a dog to expose it and train it thoroughly yourself otherwise you and your dog will both be disappointed no matter what breed you select.

5. Jbones

Jbones Spike

Oct 26, 2012
    nicholasville
    Well I have decided on an English or Llewein Setter after my month or so of obsessive research and conversations. Now I'm beginning the breeder search. Hopefully by this time next year I'll at least be in the beginning stages of attempting to train a pup, if not already been in the field or field trials.