Bill Request 492

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by outdoorsman_33, Dec 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. outdoorsman_33

outdoorsman_33 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2008
    Anderson County
  2. KYCanvasback

KYCanvasback Fawn

Jan 9, 2014

Thanks, Glad you posted this. I have contacted my Representatives and would encourage others to do the same. To me, this is about anti's gaining a foothold more than anything. Some wont be satisfied until we have no rights left. This subject was discussed on trapperman.com also.

3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Thanks for posting. What’s our play?

4. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    You can bet she has put her 2-faced a$$ on a leather seat or 3 whether it be in her home/office or her $60,000 beamer,..........or equivalent.

5. _fletch_

_fletch_ 10 pointer

Jul 27, 2006
    Daviess Co. KY
    Get vocal. Contact your representatives, contact the lady who submitted it, and if you're not already a member, join the United Trappers of Kentucky, Fur Takers of America, Kentucky Sportsman Alliance, etc. She did not come up with this on her own. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that I won't mention here, but there is an anti-trapping group that is trying to sneak this bill in. We must make our voices heard.

outdoorsman_33 and FOWLER2671 like this.
  6. KyThunder

KyThunder Fawn

Jun 2, 2019
    West KY
    I'm 53....for the first time in my life I contacted my state rep. and I dont even trap but once every 5 to 10 yrs. This is an assault on all ky outdoorsmen.

7. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I have never contacted a representative before, but this is crazy. How do you all go about it? And what do you say when you do contact so as you dont come off as the stereotype pissed off crazy redneck? Because what I want to say is not nice or professional lol

8. _fletch_

_fletch_ 10 pointer

Jul 27, 2006
    Daviess Co. KY
    https://legislature.ky.gov/Pages/index.aspx
    Here is the link to look up the legislators for your county.

Here is the link of the lady who has proposed it.
    https://legislature.ky.gov/Legislators/Pages/Legislator-Profile.aspx?DistrictNumber=136

Woodsman92, you are correct, in that how we go about presenting ourselves will go a long way in beating this bill. It's difficult for me as well, especially with such an attack on our way of life, but we try and be professional and courteous. Here's some things to consider doing or talking about in your letters. Taken from a thread on another forum:

"Coyotes and beaver are your best friends. Farmers, ranchers, sheep, goats, pigs, cattle. Get these folks calling. Even pet owners who lost pets to coyotes.
    USDA Wildlife Services can't politic but can give out research information, USDA Ag,

Beaver, timber companies, Soil and water, private timber growers, DOT flooded roads, fields, houses.

You won't have but a handful of trappers, but with these folks you will have hundreds. Most big timber co have their own lobbyist as does many farm and ranching groups.

When it directly effects a persons wallet they get interested

Disease, rabies, distemper, rodent population explosions, human attacks.

Protecting other wildlife populations, songbirds, Low ground and ground nesting birds, saving protected habitat, mitigation sites, ground water, runoff, flood control, Fish migrations affected by beaver dams.

Farmers, certified crops, can't have but so much animal waste in a field, crop damage from coons, coyotes, fox, groundhogs, etc.

Let other groups do your work"

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  9. _fletch_

_fletch_ 10 pointer

Jul 27, 2006
    Daviess Co. KY
    If you go to the first link I posted, from that page you can select Legislators, and a drop down menu will show an option of "find your legislator". This will take you to a map where you can click on the appropriate area and it will show you who your Senator and Representatives are. You can then view their bio page and can email them from there.

outdoorsman_33 likes this.