Biggest tale you ever heard

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Trapper Delk, Nov 29, 2020.

1. BuckNest

BuckNest 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2020
    Mount Olivet KY
    I had a buddy that always seen 140+ class bucks on every hunt. He still does to this day. One day when we was younger we was hunting in the same tree. All of a sudden he told me not to turn around and look his way because there was 2 140+ bucks headed our way, of course they never materialized and just "slipped off". Story #2 I wasted an evening hunt to sit in an open field and watch the same guy with binoculars while he was in his treestand. Of course he did not know I was watching and he some how saw 3 bucks all over 140+ inches come in "thrashing trees". I can assure you he did not see a deer. Story #3 same guy. He came back to camp after hunting one morning and said he could have killed a booner that came in "thrashing trees" but he was to far back on the farm and it would have to been to long of a drag so he passed him. He said he was going to wait until later in the season to kill him.

Every time this guy hunts no matter the time of year, morning or evening, rain or shine, he always sees 140+ inch bucks "thrashing trees".

I have a ton of stories about the "thrashing tree" guy.

carnivore, Feedman, hotdog and 4 others like this.
  2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I was shooting clays with a group of guys and we had to quit because the horses got let out. While we were cleaning up i mentioned to a fella (that reminds me of thrashing trees guy) how hard it had to be shooting off the back of a horse, back in the day, especially if the horse was running. He said “it aint easy but i done it, killed 3 coyotes one night that was getting into the neighbor’s coop off the back of a horse.” Now normally i dont bother arguing with this guy about his BS stories but this time i couldnt help myself. I say so you get a call in the middle of the night (so likely in your boxers:rolleyes:) and you grab the 30-30, hop on a horse bareback (cause you damn sure aint got time to put a saddle on) run over to the neighbor’ and bust 3 yotes (in the dark!) bareback (half naked) off a running horse?!?! He looked me dead in the eye and says “yessir!”
    LOL! I cussed him up and down then told him one day his bs stories and lies are going to cost him big time and needs to cut it out. Years later he lost a good job and got run out of town by a bunch of angry farmers that he lied to and routinely BSed about prices he could get them that never panned out. Hopefully he finally learned his lesson.

*edited- forgot he was half naked and added

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Munson, barney and BuckNest like this.
  3. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    this is not my story. I have no idea who wrote it. I have posted this on here numerous times over the years normally just prior to modern gun.
    But last year or two I have neglected to. But here it is.

I had this idea that I was going to rope a deer, put it in
    a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it.

The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured
    that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the
    bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with
    my rope.

The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well
    back. They were not having any of it.

After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up -- 3 of them. I
    picked out.. ..a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me.

I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so
    I would have a good hold. The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation.

I took a step towards it...it took a step away. I put a little
    tension on the rope and then received an education.

The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may
    just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer EXPLODED.

The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer
    is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity.

A deer-- no chance.

That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined.

The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina
    as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as
    quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed
    venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around
    its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual.

Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to
    recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in, so I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute.

I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could
    get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million
    years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist.

Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a
    horse where they just bite you and then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head --almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably
    to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective. It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes,
    but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it.

While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right
    arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose. That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear
    right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp. I learned a long time ago that, when an animal
    -- like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards
    the animal.
    This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you
    can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such
    trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run.

The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and
    run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away.

So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring
    a rifle with a scope to sort of even the odds.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Brody, Huntertyler, Feedman and 9 others like this.
  4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Patrick was one of my favorite parts of Outdoor life.

5. Rossi

Rossi 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2009
    Montgomery Co. , KY
    My Dad told me once that he shot squirrels at so long a distance that he had to put salt in the shells so the squirrels didnt spoil before he got to them. :)

Munson, barney, woodsman92 and 13 others like this.
  6. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I'm glad you didn't post that while I was trying to sit quietly in deer stand, there is some laugh out loud spots in that story, tears come to my eyes when it bit him

redjackson likes this.
  7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    This past Saturday. Buddy shot a little basket 8. BUT you should have seen the one that got away story. BIG MONSTER BUCK was chasing a Doe. He couldnt get a shot. They ran into a Cedar thicket. When the Doe ran out the little 8 came out behind. He just knew it was the big one pulled up and shot. Then seen it wasnt it. less than 100 yards open field.
    Nope he shot the first Buck he seen. Thats what happen but dont want to admit it. So make up a story for us to try and believe. If the MONSTER BUCK was as big as he said it was. The little 8 should have easy to see it wasnt the MONSTER.

BuckNest likes this.
  8. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I've got a buddy like that. He's always hearing deer moving behind him. He hears them rubbing, scraping, and fighting one another. And when I ask him where he heard this so we can go look for the signs, it's always a spot about 10 yards away. And when I ask why he didn't shoot it, it's because he could never see it behind the one bush in the way. He even heard this when we hunted in the rain last week.

BuckNest and Grago like this.
  9. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Busted his floater? That is a new one on me. WhEre did he hit it?

10. Jmd

Jmd Fawn

Sep 26, 2016
    I knew a guy ,since passed away. Was in the army at fort knox and on the machine gun practice range. A deer ran out and Wayne could not resist .He shot the deer with a 50 cal machine gun. The range officer told him that he was going to eat every f@@king bite.

Grago likes this.
  11. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I know when we was on the range at Knox there was very explicit orders about shooting game on the range. They made it clear that if you seen anything to yell cease fire and woe to the person that shoots a deer. I know I would never do it while I was there.

barney and 1wildcatfan like this.
  12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Dated a girl down in Tampa, she told me that her dad used to slip up on mule deer and stab them in the neck instead of shooting them.
    She also said she didn’t bang half the town while I was at work. Not sure which I’d the bigger lie.But her daddy stabbing the deer is more believable.

13. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    I heard one about two guys hunting deer. One of them
    was using a new 300 win mag he had bought from Walmart
    just a few days before season. He had the salesman at the store
    mount a Tasco scope on it and bore sight in for him.Good to go,said
    the guy behind the counter.
    Opening day came and they hit the woods before first light. The guy with
    his new 300 bore sighted win mag headed to watch a old farmstead grown up lot
    above a deep brushy holler.
    Just as good light lit up the falling down farm house he seen a big buck
    standing under a old apple tree.He yanked up his new rifle ,lined up his
    crosshairs and fired.BOOOOM !!! that big old buck hit the dirt flat dead.
    His buddy heard him shoot and and yell,,,Hell Yeah !!! and so he took off running to
    get to him and see what he had shot.
    His buddy got to him and asked, what did you get ? He answered and pointed
    at the big buck laying under the apple tree.Lets go look at him....
    They walked up to the buck and what a rack he had. A huge 10pt mainframe monster.
    His buddy who had shot the buck with his new 300 stated look at the hole that bullet blowed
    in his side as he stuck his finger in it.
    That buck made a big wheeze as his finger entered the bullet hole. He jumped up and with a powerful lunge baled
    straight over and all the way to the bottom of that holler on his last dying breath.
    The two hunters stood and stared in shock.
    The moral of this hunting tale is,,, Be careful where you stick your finger......

14. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    UPDATED The guy i mention above that killed the little 8 point passed away this morning of a heart attack.

15. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Sorry to hear that DH13.