Biggest tale you ever heard

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Trapper Delk, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Everyone knows someone that's got a big story,.
    I'm gonna tell this as close as I can from way I heard this........ An old guy told me once that dragging deer was all wrong, said he was hunting one time and had lean back to take a nap it was little dry and sun was warm he had eaten his dinner, and dozed off. Said he awoke to something coming down the trail so he leaned up thinking he speak to someone and here came a big buck running at a good trot and a guy sitting on his back, with a closer look the guys gun was in the deers antlers so he takes off towards the trail hard as he could run to try help the poor guy, said bout time he got there the deer, man passed and the guy hollar and said thanks I got it old'timer.. he said that guy had gutted that deer and tied it on a bicycle said it looked like it was running cause it's feet would hit the ground every once in a while and it's rack was tied to handle bars the guy sitting on deers back .... That old guy isn't with us anymore but dang that took some thinking

2. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I’m pretty sure Patrick F McManus told a story about that in a outdoor life magazine article many years ago. Not exactly like it but close. Great story and visual though.

3. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I use to sale fire wood to old guy he'd tell some kind of tale every time you'd go, he told that at least 27 years ago maybe longer. Lived by his self had a moonshine still in side of the house said it was just for looks. Lol

Grago and jblack1 like this.
  4. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    He also said there was a old widow woman that use to follow him around and he couldn't get away from her, long story short he knocked the hills off his shoes and tack them back to the toes so she couldn't track him said she was going the wrong way all the time

5. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 8 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    I had a boy in Frankfort tell me he took a deer once by jumping off a tree stand onto its back.

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Hunted with my ex brother in law and his buddy many years back. We were new hunters. First year i hunt with them i show up late 7pm opening day due to work. I get to their camp and it was raining, They didnt have a fire, were sopping wet, and hungry. Kinda looked like those sad abused dogs on the ASPCA commercials on tv. I hand them a bucket of chicken, go to the old barn, drag out a big piece of old roof tin to protect the fire from rain, and start a fire with my propane torch and some lighter fluid. I noticed they had a non dressed forkhorn deer in the bed of the truck with no front legs and no bullet holes in the body. WTF??? Once they were warmed up i asked them about the deer and handed them a knife to dress it. They said they both lost their knives while wrestling the deer in the creek trying to cut its throat :eek: and proceed to tell me the story.

Steve gets frustrated after not seeing deer all day and decides to move spots around 330 pm for the evening hunt. While walking to the new spot a buck comes hauling ass around a brush pile and literally runs into steve who falls and drops his old german Mauser with one of those weird old bolt on scope mounts that are like 3 inches high off the rifle. He quickly picks it up, aims at the vitals, and shoots from the ground. The buck stopped 20 feet away to figure out what he ran into. The scope was way off from the drop and blows both front legs off just above the joint. The deer bulldozers straight down a steep hill and into a big creek. Steve shoots all of his bullets at the neck as the deer goes down hill but misses every time (not really knowing). He makes his way to the deer in the creek that is bleeding heavily but doesnt seem to be dying and decides to cut his throat. Big mistake, deer explodes, he loses his knife, and starts wrestling it. My BIL is hunting up the hill on the other side of the creek hears the commotion and runs down to help. Once he gets to the bank steve begs him to come over and help him, telling him to get his knife and cut his throat. Deer puts up a huge fight and knife #2 goes into the creek as well but deer gets tired out and they finally manage to drown the damn thing. Now they are exhausted, soaked, cant find their knives, and it takes forever to get the undressed deer up the steep hill. They spend time trying to make a fire but it starts raining and they fail and sit miserably waiting for me to show up with a bucket of chicken, and a knife. And yes they were buckeyes.
    Crazy story, but if it aint true, i cant even guess what actually happened lol.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Munson, Buzz151, barney and 12 others like this.
  7. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Im from the Government and Im here to help:D

BowHunter20, Munson, Feedman and 2 others like this.
  8. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Can’t make that stuff up. I had a story but I can’t follow this.

9. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Come on we all need a laugh

10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    My buddys FIL has about a 170" non typical 16 point mounted. Only deer he killed the entire time I knew him. It was old as Methusela. Grey as a ghost. Id loved to have seen it in its prime..
    He wanted to hunt but had no rifle. So we told him buy some slugs for his 1100. So he buys two boxs of $3 slugs and never even sights it in..Just takes the plug out.
    He drives up on a random strip job here in Floyd co. He only knew it was there because we took him rabbit hunting on it.. So he just starts walking around the top of the strip.. He hears a big crash and this giant grey bearded buck tops the hill and stops like 50 yards in front of him.. He shot 5 times at it and missed the first five shots.. That deer stood there and waited for him to reload three more.. Never moved.. He shot one more time and busted its floater. Dropped right there.. So he never killed a deer in his life and we didnt even take him seriously when he said he was going. But by god with a $3 box of slugs and a rabbit gun he has a legit monster hanging on his wall..

KyDaveco, Munson, Feedman and 11 others like this.
  11. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Not as good as that one. When I was bout 14 was muzzloading hunting with an older man. We walked to the stand and there was a fork horn standing by our tree. I pulled gun up and pow. He dropped in his tracks. We walked up and he was grazed in his head. I knocked him cold. Old man said reload that thing and finish him off. I put powder patch and ball in and rammed it down but I could not find the caps. I had laid them on dash of truck. So he said he will be gone by the time we get back so he grabbed the draw string and had me climb up the tree and untie it from the top. We wrapped the string around the antlers and tied them to the tree. Walked back to truck and came back. Sure enough the buck was up standing like a dog tied up for first time. Was on all fours and had his head down and pulling as hard as he could. We got within 30-40 yards before he started acting crazy. I finished him off, and the old man said now we can literally say we had them tied up. He laughed all evening at me. Shooting a tied up deer. He talked about that till he died. Lol.

12. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Hard to beat this one, anyone that knows anything about coon hounds, know houndsman really look at pedigrees , to see what blood line they are from. Old man had some pups for sale, out of 2 high powered hounds, was looking at them, i said they should make some nice tree dogs. He said they was treeing before, they opened their eyes. Said he knew their mother was close to having the pups, so he bought her inside, to make sure they would be safe. Cut one complete side out of a big card board box, so she could go in and out of it easily. So she has 7 pups, he said 2 nd , day after they was born , they were all nursing, he said box was laying by a couch, the couch came all the way down to the floor. So he took a coon tail, and since they were all in a line, just pulled it across all of theirs heads, then pulled it about 2 feet across the floor and layed it on the couch. All pups quit nursing , had their nose down on the trail he pulled the coon tail, then all of them, reared up on the couch and went to treeing.

Munson, barney, Feedman and 8 others like this.
  13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Buddy’s dad told me a good one you reminded me of with tying up a deer. He said his uncle took him on his first hunt, set him down in a spot in the woods, and the uncle walked down and over to the powerline clearing a couple hundred yards away. A sickly little buck came staggering over to him and meandered around. He was going to shoot it then figured they should probably take the deer to a vet or try to get it help. Said he walked right up to it and put a drag line around its neck and led it straight out of the woods over to the powerline clearing. Uncle was confused, a little annoyed, and hollering. “What the hell! You’re supposed to shoot the deer not tame the damn things like a freaking dog!” Uncle came up the clearing and put the sick deer down but that had to be a sight having his new hunter walking a deer out of the woods on a leash lol!

Munson, elmucho277, barney and 7 others like this.
  14. BuckNest

BuckNest 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2020
    Mount Olivet KY
    Lol blowing the top out of that couch at 2 days old. Hound guys of any kind tickle me and it does not matter if they are Beaglers or Coon Houndsman.

carnivore likes this.
  15. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    A guy was telling my grandpa one-time he was hunting with a buddy he seen a great big buck go around the hill towards him so he watched to see if he killed it, then the guy sees it raises his 30-30 took aim then ejected shell took aim and ejected shell and did that till deer went on by. He walk down and said why didn't you kill that deer and he said damn I shot 7 times he pointed at ground and there lay all his ammo scatter in leaves not one had been fired , guess buck fever got him LoL

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    jblack1, hotdog, CRFmxracer and 2 others like this.