Biggest buck and best hunt ever.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by DeerSkinner3742, Oct 19, 2016.

1. DeerSkinner3742

DeerSkinner3742 Spike

Dec 28, 2009
    burlington ky
    Well it started Saturday morning after my brother convinced me to bow hunt a farm we only have permission to bow hunt instead muzzleload hunting a farm we that we can. I get in the stand about a half hour before daylight like usual and hear some movement to the left of me. I assumed it was deer moving past me but it was to dark to see them. About 15 - 20 minutes after day break I hear a noise on my left again. I look over and see the tines of a big buck we got on trail camera. He must have bedded down instead of walking past me like I assumed. 10 minutes pass(which seem like a hour) and he is still bedded behind some honeysuckle and out of now where two 120 plus bucks come running in. The big buck gets up out of his bed and gives about a 5 second snort weeze bristles up and does that side step with his hair raised. He proceeded to posture and push the two younger buck for a few minutes. Finally he started to hit antlers with one of them and then the other joined in. They went off and on for nearly 10 minutes or so meanwhile all behind brush to thick to shoot through. Finally they push through an opening and I take the shot. He was quartering to me and I hit him back quite far but luckily he ran down towards me to about 15 yrds perfectly broadside. I reach for an arrow an knock it only to realize that it's got a field point on it. I grab another arrow (this time it has a broadhead on it) and let it fly, perfect double lung. He ran about 10 yrds and fell over. I was so jacked up I thought I was going to fall out of my climber. My biggest by far we rough scored 158 3/8 I think my buddy and I were a little high but who cares I'm still freakin pumped. Well I get the end and realize I can't get the pic to upload could someone help?

Dgulley21 likes this.
  2. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I can post your pic 270 634 3519

3. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Screenshot_20161019-193708-480x853.png posting for the OP

drc and sixxfan26 like this.
  4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    DANG GOOD BUCK. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

DeerSkinner3742 likes this.
  5. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Awesome buck and story! Congratulations that is a really great buck.

6. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Awesome buck. Heck of a neck.

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Beautiful buck....congrats.

Seeing the neck on that buck..... he's ready for the games to begin.

8. bkb60

bkb60 Spike

Nov 15, 2015
    east ky
    thats a goodun

9. jim rifanburg

jim rifanburg 6 pointer

Jul 27, 2016
    Awesome buck congrats

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

That's an awesome buck but I believe I'm more jealous of you getting to witness a dominate buck snort wheeze and spare with inferior bucks. I've never heard one do that and that's one of my goals.

11. DeerSkinner3742

DeerSkinner3742 Spike

Dec 28, 2009
    burlington ky
    I've been Hunting for 23 years and that's was the first time I heard it.

12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've only ever heard it once in my hunting career.

Which I'll reiterate .. I only heard it ... no visual on the deer while he was doing it.

As I had gotten in the stand we'll before daylight and had some chasing & grunting going on around me in the dark. Then had a single deer I could just hear walking down the ridge I was on .. seemed it got quiet for a moment and he let out a snort wheeze. It was followed by some antler crashing and apparently one of the bucks chased the other off.

I'd sure loved to had witnessed it after daylight ... but this all happened in the pitch dark. Still a pretty cool experience.

13. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    I've only heard it a few times but one of those times was also one of the best hunts I ever had. It was an early Nov afternoon and near dark I watched as a buck I was after (a 140" 9pt) came walking down the edge of the woods. I thought he was going to just walk on by so I grunted and snort wheezed at him. He immediately turned and entered the woods with me. He walked into bow range and stood there just looking around while facing me. He stood there till shooting light faded and just as it reached the point that I figured I couldn't shoot him he walked right toward me. As he got right beside me I convinced myself that maybe I could see to shoot him now that he was so close. With him at 8 yds I snort wheezed at him with my mouth. He stopped in his tracks and to my amazement he snort wheezed back at me. I drew on him but of course I could not see my pins and the deer st the same time so I let down. He started walking and I snort wheezed again and again he stopped and answered. This happened 3 more times. I couldn't believe it. How did he not realize the sound was coming from right over his head. He was pissed off. I'm not sure how many times we would have argued back and forth but I figured I was just gonna spook him so I let him walk away. He stopped about 30 yds away and shredded a tree for good measure. Still a top 10 all time hunt for me.

So awesome to experience that kind of thing and get the buck too.

My Dad actually ended up killing that 9 the following season so we won the final argument.

14. nateb440

nateb440 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2011
    Awesome buck!!! Heck of a hunt. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like they're really starting to get jacked up.

15. Claims Rep.

Claims Rep. 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2010
    Congrats on a great buck! Thanks also for sharing the story!