Big South Fork -Wild hog Hunting

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by countryfied03, Dec 28, 2015.

1. countryfied03

countryfied03 Fawn

Nov 20, 2006
    Kentucky
    Is there anyone from around the Big South Fork area that can give me more information about hog hunting? Looking at going there in January or February, the park service fave me some info but I want to be as prepared as possible and hopefully we can have a successful hunt.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well don't stop and ask the locals they'll swear there's no hogs there and none have been killed there in years, at least on the Ky side. I wasn't hunting but in the area fishing and hiking one time and I swear when you mentioned wild hogs everyone acted and looked at you like you were from outer space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I've been hearing tales of hogs in Big South Fork going back at least 15 years. I have yet to see a pic of one someone claimed came from there.

And for as long as I've been a member on here, you'd think someone would post at least once that they know someone who knows someone who's brothers cousin shot at one once but missed, but I don't think I've seen even that yet.

4. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    My huntin buddy killed a hog on a deer hunt down there 15-18 yrs ago. When he took it to the ranger station even they were surprised. He and I have gone and spent several days down there hunting, hiking, fishing, and exploring and have yet to see any sign.
    it's awesome just goin down there exploring. We carry a rifle just in case a hog shows up.

5. claynut69

claynut69 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2007
    pulaski, co
    A friend owns a farm in the Peters Mtn area and used to have plenty of hogs until open season was on them. Now hasn't seen one in years. Maybe the increase in bears has run them off too.

6. countryfied03

countryfied03 Fawn

Nov 20, 2006
    Kentucky
    Hopefully that's not the case....the park service said there are some there and pointed me in the general area but he also stated that there are a lot more on the Tennessee side. Kdwfr also stated that big south fork would be the best place in ky to find wild hogs. I don't want to go to the Tennessee side because a license would cost $210 I think for a 7 day license, but thanks for the info I definitely won't get our hopes up

7. DUCKY41051

DUCKY41051 6 pointer

Jul 22, 2008
    I heard there were hogs at a wma in the northern part of ky, i am a ky state hunter safety instructor, so i called frakfort and told them i wanted to do a self guided hunt for hogs there and was wondering if they had any contacts there and that i would like to help the farmers out, i was told that he would rather me not hunt them, he said it scares them off and scatter, he said that the best way was to trap them, i ask, do you have any traps out, he said no not now, they got trap shy. I feel like the more i talked with him that he has instructed the farmers not to let anyone hunt them and if they did, the state would offer no help. But thats my opinion.

8. remman2

remman2 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2014
    We had one small pocket of them here and a few guys started hunting with dogs. Now we hogs scattered over a large area. I read a lot about hunting them and it's proven that hunting is not an effective way if controlling hog populations, just look at the states with large hog populations. They are the obsolete worst thing to have on your hunting property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. DUCKY41051

DUCKY41051 6 pointer

Jul 22, 2008
    I aggree that it is not the most effective way. But if they are not trapping currently, and have made them trap shy, then to me it would be better to kill 1 or 2 hogs as opposed to not doing anything. If they were showing the results i would not have even thought of it, but when you hear they are trap shy, and they are not trapping then whats the harm.

10. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    If you've never seen the damage, that a sounder of hogs can do in just one night, your missin out. To beat that, they can have 5 litters in 2 years. Don't take long for them to get numerous.

11. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    So if they're not being actively hunted, nor trapped, you'd think if there were even a small number, the population would've exploded by now.

I'm starting to think that a wild hog in Big South Fork is rarer than a mountain lion in Ky.

12. Uscnoklahoma

Uscnoklahoma 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2013
    SC
    Just come to SC and hunt em all you want. I hate em. They destroy everything.

13. GroundPound

GroundPound 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2010
    Swamp Gulch
    I wouldn't mind a road trip. Do you have spots? When you hunt them, do you do it over bait?

14. Uscnoklahoma

Uscnoklahoma 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2013
    SC
    Yes, but a lot of folks use dogs. Its hit or miss where I am. I can put out corn and it not be touched for a week or be gone the next day lol. Honestly, if I were serious about coming down here I would ask someone on SCDucks about swapping out or coming down in March and hunting a WMA. http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/wildhogregs.html#hunting