Big ones I've seen are MIA

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by DEERMD, Nov 14, 2013.

1. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    I'm starting to think that the big ones I have saw on camera last week and weeks leading up to season are dead or gone... ALL I have saw lately are spikes 4 ptrs and small 8's chasing doe none of big guys.. His heartening to say the least.

2. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Locked down with a doe and not moving.

3. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    They gotta eat tho right!? I haven't seen them on camera since season started

4. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I too think the big boys are on lock down with there does right now. I have a big thicket at my best farm that runs down a creek and it is full of deer right now. but almost impossible to hunt because of wind and thickness. However I can hunt the edges of it and hope one of the big ones will come out. I seen a good deer opening morning but nothing big since. And he was chasing a doe right to a thick woods. I see several small deer every time I go but no shooters yet. My guess for what it is worth is that alot of the big boys everyone has been seeing are still there. They are just hanging low in thick areas. Which is very common for where I hunt in south central. Be positive and keep after them.. They are there. The big boys dont get big by walking across a wide open field every day. Good luck

5. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    The deer on my farm are still eating a little corn but not near as much as they normally do. An the ones that do are either little bucks or single does. I figure the ones still eating the corn arent in rut yet. They have to eat yes but during the rut food is not the main priority.

6. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    there is enough browse that they dont have to come out in the open to eat. Plus big mature bucks know the areas that arent hunted. and know where to hide. My guess is they are hiding out layed up with a hot doe or hanging out in an area that most people would never think to hunt.

7. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Jason, we saw a nice 8-pointer out in our field chasing, and saw him again this morning. However as expected, I didn't have my rifle available to get him. Maybe this evening.

8. RutnStrutKy

RutnStrutKy 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2010
    Back Woods
    I'm in same predicament as you are I was getting a 150" ten on cam like clockwork all the way up to oct 20 then boom no more he stayed hid for 23 days till the 12 th of nov and my cam just caught a glimpse of him when he walked by didn't stop at cornpile just cruised through to a probably 10-12 acre thicket. Last two sets on stand I've had a buck in the thicket grunting and not really what I would call chasing does but more less harassing them to check them. Always the does will come out but he always stays in and won't show. I'm just hoping he catches one just right and she drags him out for a shot.

9. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Sorry to be the one to tell ya, josh killed that 8 last nite(evening). I hadn't even seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Well, I am glad he got it as I don't think he got any Deer last year. I had a very good chance to take him yesterday morning but I had to take my Brother to the Doctor as he was ill and unable to drive. He is feeling better as the Doctor gave him an injection of cortisone to help deal with his allergies. But things have not gone well with my Deer Hunting this year....always something getting in the way of a successful hunt. At this point, with the few days remaining, I might just take any Deer I see out back, even a Doe, but I sure hate too. After this Deer season is over I will resume my Squirrel Hunting. I still think we should have those 6-day Zone 1 & 2 have, I feel we've been cheated as Rut is just now going strong.:( We're thinking if I or my Brother bag a Deer we'll buy 1/2 of a Beef cow. We're getting tired of eating Walmarts or Krogers sub-grade meats!!:grumpy:

11. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Trust me I know... I haven't killed an antlered deer the last 3 seasons... I've let a lot walk... But I'm just so stumped because I don't know where the nice ones have went... Well I know where 2 have gone ;)
    I'll take a doe Sunday and hopefully I'll get one during muzzleloader...

You guys else where seeing it pick up? It's pretty much no holds bar on our farm, but it's only scrub bucks chasing around.

12. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    3 of my big boys got smoked by neighbors

13. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    I saw two Doe and one Spike this morning + a Coyote chasing one of the Doe. If I don't bag a Deer this will be the first year I got "skunked" since 1984!!:(

My Brother and I are passing on the Doe as their meat seems tougher than that from a Buck. At least the last three Doe I've shot were all on the tough side but we ate them anyway.

14. Just got a text from a neighbor. Buck I've hady desires on is dead. I'm calling it a season I believe. Not saying I have anymore rights to it than others, just disheartening. Think I'll just call if a season. I can't get excited about hunting dead deer.

15. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Yea well at least ya know its dead... I think hunting it thinking it is dead but ya don't know.. Is worse!