Big Bow Kills

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Grago, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I might just be me, but has anyone noticed that a lot of the really big deer, you read about lately are Bow Kills,

bgkyarcher likes this.
  2. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    The top 10 or 20 in the Digest every year are usually about 1 in 5 bow, I think, but even that is an over representation. The bow guys have to spend more time in the woods, have to be more dedicated. Makes sense that they either are or get to be better hunters, or more matured and experienced hunters. (Not counting myself here, at all.). I think for a lot of us, we move into bow because it’s more season and more challenge, and so that’s gonna appeal to more hardcore dudes. Plus I think since a lot of bow hunters are going to hunt 10, 20, 30+ days, and not just opening morning of rifle, they’re more likely to wait and pass up smaller bucks.

Campfire likes this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    A lot of that is people managing better for big bucks... A lot of it is luck. But the main reason why, IMHO, with today's bows, a good archer is deadly out to 60-70 yards, even more...

dmullins and Campfire like this.
  4. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    I agree. Also gonna be a Lot more big bucks killed with a crossbow going forward now that the season is longer for crossbow. The new ones are crazy fast and accurate at long distance.

5. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Probably in the kitchen Ky
    Id want a breakdown about WHEN the big bucks are killed. With people growing and patterning big bucks now it only makes sense that they would take up a bow and kill them in early season as compared to waiting for them to blow out for the rut and be someone elses trophy during rifle.

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I think of myself as a very good archer and have taken lots of animals with a bow. Hitting a target at 60yds is not that big of a deal but anyone that takes 60-70 shots at a whitetail in the field with a bow are risking a miss or a bad hit. Not a wise shot on a deer at that distance.

aaronc, CRFmxracer, RLWEBB and 5 others like this.
  7. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Yeah you guys are right, Long season, better equipment early season in more of a pattern, i guess If im not mistaken, Tuckers deer in Tn was a new world record, Then the one that just broke that record, I just noticed that a lot of big deer are bow kills anymore

8. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Lots of folks these days take the bow all season. Myself included. I did break out the boom stick the last weekend to take a doe though.

9. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    This ^^^^^ I've killed my share of deer with a bow and I've killed exactly one (1) over 40 yards. Everything else has been inside 30 yards, most inside 20 yards.

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I’ve shot a few between 40 and 50. Perfectly calm, no wind, broadside. Shot my bull at 55. I wouldn’t shoot beyond 40 now. I don’t practice enough any more.

11. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Probably in the kitchen Ky
    Most deer taken average 25.

12. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Not even with a crossbow. People get hung up on these “100yd” capable crossbows without any concern whatsoever from the ethical standpoint. My son shot a buck in Ohio back in 2017 with a crossbow. The buck was broadside and perfectly calm at 30 yards on the nose. As I heard the click of the crossbow firing, not the safety, the actual release of the bolt. The buck turned almost straight to us in one step. The bolt entered in between the last two ribs and buried into the back right hip. Poor fella couldn’t even walk right as he left. Ended up giving the deer 6 hours before tracking him. In 30° degree temps he was still warm when we found him meaning he hadn’t been dead long. We was using a Tenpoint rated at 380fps and he was still able to move before the bolt got him at that distance. Too much can go wrong at extended distances.

elmucho277, Southpaw, RLWEBB and 2 others like this.
  13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Lots of “professional hunters” on tv pushing long range hunting and shooting with bow and gun. To me, the closer the better.

cedar ridge likes this.
  14. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Im not even able to pull a bow anymore, But i used to shoot a lot and a lot of tournaments , won my share back in the day, but its a big difference shooting a target and shooting at a deer, i always aimed a little low even at close range, a deer will go down some before it can run , and they are very fast about jumping the string even on a 300 fps bow , i also agree the crossbow will become a big factor in the future , for a lot of people, some are just archery purist , and will stay that way, which is a good thing

15. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I would much rather kill a deer with a bow then a gun. I have killed alot of deer with a muzzeloader too. Not to mention my best spots are best early season. By the time gun season rolls around the ones that arent nocturnal usually die before i get a crack at them. If i could only choose one weapon for the rest of my life it would be a bow.

bowhunter269 likes this.