Big Bore Handgun

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Which do you prefer? I’m leaning towards the new M&P. The Glocks are great pistols. They are just ugly to me. They look like High Points on a diet and wearing lipstick to me. Lol.

Glocks are ugly and have terrible grip angles. I actually had to work on mine a bit to get it reliable but all good now. I only got it because it’s a 20C (compensated) they are no longer made and going up in value daily.

I have had great accuracy out of the Atomic 180gr in Glock. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019497034

The 1911 is most accurate with the Sig Ammo https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019075393?pid=197581

I had terrible luck with all Hornady 10mm accuracy wise. Some guns are not rated for hard cast bullets. The self defense ammo isn’t necessarily good for hunting as you may need more penetration. “I” carry and hunt with what my guns shoot best, personal preference.

The Federal Trophy Bonded and Swift-A-Frame are great hunting factory load. Your just going to have to try some in new MnP.

Last edited:

DocPain

6 pointer
Aug 23, 2021
Hardinsburg Kentucky
I hunted deer exclusively for 10 years with handguns in Michigan. I used .357, .44 magnum and .454. I liked the 44 best in a Ruger super Blackhawk 7 1/2” barrel that had been customized by Magnaport. All guns were revolvers with 2 power EER scopes. During that time I killed 37 deer between 10 and 146 yards. Most from 16-20 foot ladder stands. The one at 146 yards was shot in a corn field using the top of a locust fence post as a rest. Takes some practice using a scope on a revolver to consistently find the crosshairs quickly. After that it’s just good trigger control. I found it to be the most fun for me when hunting deer. During that same time frame I practiced a lot with a TC contender all summer long on groundhogs. I tried a Desert Eagle .50 on the range a few times but never could shoot it as well as the revolvers. I stopped handgun hunting deer about 12 years ago. The arthritis in my right wrist just couldn’t take the recoil of the hot loads any longer. It sure was fun while it lasted

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
I hunted deer exclusively for 10 years with handguns in Michigan. I used .357, .44 magnum and .454. I liked the 44 best in a Ruger super Blackhawk 7 1/2” barrel that had been customized by Magnaport. All guns were revolvers with 2 power EER scopes. During that time I killed 37 deer between 10 and 146 yards. Most from 16-20 foot ladder stands. The one at 146 yards was shot in a corn field using the top of a locust fence post as a rest. Takes some practice using a scope on a revolver to consistently find the crosshairs quickly. After that it’s just good trigger control. I found it to be the most fun for me when hunting deer. During that same time frame I practiced a lot with a TC contender all summer long on groundhogs. I tried a Desert Eagle .50 on the range a few times but never could shoot it as well as the revolvers. I stopped handgun hunting deer about 12 years ago. The arthritis in my right wrist just couldn’t take the recoil of the hot loads any longer. It sure was fun while it lasted
Yet another factor to consider that makes the 10mm sound better and better

bluegrassDan

6 pointer
Dec 17, 2008
Hot loads in a 44 can be hard on the wrists. On mine, we used a Kreiger rifle barrel blank with a fast twist. Cut it into 3 individual 10 inch barrels. When we machined the lead into the rifling at the cylinder end of the barrel, we made them a longer taper. This really cut down on the clockwise torque you get with heavy bullets and fast loads in factory barrels that have a very short and sharp angle lead. Unfortunately, this is only offered as an aftermarket option and requires a new barrel.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Considering purchasing a large handgun for hunting. I’d been looking at the Taurus Raging Hunter or Bull in 44mag or .454. And possibly.500 S&W. But lately, I find those to be less and less practical and find myself leaning towards a 10mm auto loader. There is a huge disparity in power between the two. However, the more I read on the 10mm. The more practical it becomes.
20220120_102501_copy_1512x1046.jpg

kyjohnky

8 pointer
Dec 23, 2014
I have both a SRH in .454 Casull and Glock 40. I can break clays at 70 yards with the SRH, and get 3-4" groups at 50 yards with the Glock.
I limit either to bow ranges, and with that, the 10mm is easier to carry and a hell of a lot nicer to shoot.
I hunt with Underwood ammo, hot and heavy.
What red dot do you have on it?

danf26

8 pointer
Nov 5, 2009
southeastky
Considering purchasing a large handgun for hunting. I’d been looking at the Taurus Raging Hunter or Bull in 44mag or .454. And possibly.500 S&W. But lately, I find those to be less and less practical and find myself leaning towards a 10mm auto loader. There is a huge disparity in power between the two. However, the more I read on the 10mm. The more practical it becomes.
i bought a cva single shot in 243 shoots good as rifle

Latest posts