Better eyesight

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by huntingteacher, Oct 6, 2012.

1. huntingteacher

huntingteacher Spike

Sep 26, 2008
    Bullitt County
    I'm in my mid 40's and since last year, my reading glasses are on most of the time. I found this year, I couldn't focus on the bow pins anymore. My shooting has
    been horrible. I've missed twice already. Today, got contacts and can't believe the difference with the bow. Cost was $45 for the visit, and another $100 for the contacts. I thought I'd post my experience. I debated if I should spend the money for hunting. I got a Elk Cow tag for Archery, and couldn't risk it.

2. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    Yep its amazing how much being able to see helps ain't it! Lol. I'm only 36 and my pins are just a green blob without my contacts! Just some advice if you are not real familiar with them. Keep a little bottle of contact solution in your pack. The wind and constantly scanning the woods causes mine to dry out so a drop or two of solution every now and then helps a lot.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

I had been wearing glasses up until this year. Went to contacts. Here is the crazy part. When hunting/shooting my bow I only wear one. I don't wear one in my dominate eye/sighting eye. Now the target is clear and so is my pin. Try it. It may work for you too. I am shooting better than I have been in years using just the one contact.

4. huntingteacher

huntingteacher Spike

Sep 26, 2008
    Bullitt County
  5. huntingteacher

huntingteacher Spike

Sep 26, 2008
    Bullitt County
  6. kybuckbuster

kybuckbuster 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    This thread is so appropriate for me this year. After about two years of barely being able to make out my pins, I'm starting to wear my glasses when I hunt. I know people said they are using contacts, but does anyone wear their actual glasses? I've been worried about them being shiny and the deer busting me.

7. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    I wore glasses bowhunting for 30 years until last year when I had lasik done. Nice not having to worry about glasses. I tried contacts but lost one once when hunting and it wasn't a good thing.
    I don't use a sight on my stickbows so never had to worry about that. But lasik DID mess up my gun shootin, especially handgun.

8. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

I wore glasses for 8 years. I can't say if I spooked any deer with them but a baseball style cap keeps most of sun light at bay. I carry extra contacts, moisture drops and a pair of glasses in my back pack.

9. retiredbowhunter

retiredbowhunter 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    After a recent prescription change I had panic set in. I could not see through the peep! Over the years I have shot with a peep, then without. Well, after some research, I found this... the Hind Sight. http://www.hindsightco.com/hindsightproducts.html

I use the Twilight Series. Within only a couple of hours I had groups that were again to my liking. I was able to mount it and use my existing Spot Hogg sight.

I also went back and purchased a single vision pair of sport glasses by Ray-Ban with a narrow bridge and eliminated the progressive/bi-focal glasses when hunting. Yes...it cost me some $$$, but my confidence is back.

I hope this helps someone. It may be worth a try.

10. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    I have been visually impaired since the fourth grade. I ponyied up 4 grand and had lasic surgery in Louisville this summer. There is nothing like it. I am looking forward to looking down my bow sight at one soon.

11. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I am also in my 40's and can't even read a menu without readers, but I can spot a deer a mile away. The eye doc told me I don't need a prescription yet.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I was severly near-sighted, 20-400 and 20-300. I had lasik in 1999, and was better than 20-20 up until a year or so ago. At 48, Father time changed my eyes. I now were a contac in the right eye only, and that works pretty well for me. I am slowly learning my arms aren't long enough to read small print. I will be getting some bifocals in January, but will continue to keep contacs for hunting. I can't stomach the thought of going back to fogged up glasses and the other crap that goes with hunting in eyeglasses.