Best way to sow a clover plot?

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
How effective is overseeing a fescue field with clover? Shouldn’t the ground be worked up prior to sowing? Over seeding seems like a waste of time and money. Am I wrong?

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
How effective is overseeing a fescue field with clover? Shouldn’t the ground be worked up prior to sowing? Over seeding seems like a waste of time and money. Am I wrong?
No you don't have to work it up. You can sow NOW just on top of the ground and be ok.

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
NO not right now it wont. Fescue is starting to grow. With the weather we are having now Clover seed will go right down in the ground and germinate. Clover will catch up with the fescue. I just sowed over 40 acs of pasture land fescue with Red Ladino White Ladino clover this past week.

K9trapper

12 pointer
Dec 7, 2006
You have to kill the grass. Spring planting clover is a low success game unless seeding into wheat or rye. Weed competition is horrible on spring planting’s. Fall planting is generally more successful.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
You have to kill the grass. Spring planting clover is a low success game unless seeding into wheat or rye. Weed competition is horrible on spring planting’s. Fall planting is generally more successful.
So suppose you have a friend insistent on sowing a spring clover plot. How would you recommend doing that? Round up when the fescue is actively growing? Plow and disc prior to sowing? Spray and disc? My buddy’s dad is getting some questionable advise and I’m trying to make some suggestions. Thanks for your all’s help by the way.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
I'd recommend a soil test, lime and fertilize to results, then spray, 2 weeks later disc up and sow, drag or cultipack.
When it emerges I'd hit it with a liquid 4-15-12 to boost it. Then watch closely and in mid-late may if your see numbers of weed and other grasses, hit it with Clethodim and Butyrac mixed with a liquid fertilizer (like a 9-4-9). Each month keep an eye out for weed infestation and if you see it you can repeat above. Put the liquid fertilize in the mix cause you will slightly stunt your clover, but the 9-4-9 will give it it's boost. I planted a mix of clovers last spring
and had some weed fights but it turned out very nice, and I expect it to really boom this year. Remember to trim 1/3 every 35 days to keep the plot super palatable.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
So suppose you have a friend insistent on sowing a spring clover plot. How would you recommend doing that? Round up when the fescue is actively growing? Plow and disc prior to sowing? Spray and disc? My buddy’s dad is getting some questionable advise and I’m trying to make some suggestions. Thanks for your all’s help by the way.
The clover needs to be seeded yesterday. Let it come up and if the fescue starts to overtake it, hit the plot with Poast herbicide. Main thing is clover needs to be in the dirt soon!

K9trapper

12 pointer
Dec 7, 2006
Or you could plant with a nurse crop like spring oats. Every place is different with the types and quantities of weeds present but pure clover planting in spring will most likely result in a field of weeds.

Every Amish guy in the country plants alfalfa in spring with oats. Harvests the oats in summer and releases the alfalfa. Same can be done with clover.

perrymax

10 pointer
Jun 6, 2002
Bullitt Co, Ky.
Very few seeds will reach the soil unless you have been grazing it or you cut it for hay first. If there is fescue, there is probably a lot of thatch and seed wont germinate in thatch. The seeds that do germinate have to fight for sunlight. Not a very efficient way to plant.

1. Soil test.
  2. Spray with roundup.
  3. After browns up and dries, burn it. (clear seedbed)
  4. Lime and fert
  5. Lightly disc and broadcast clover.
  6. Cultipac.
  7. When grass and broadleaf weeds become a problem spray with clethodim and 2,4-d amine. Read the labels!!!
  8. Run a disc with straight pans through the plot to cut the rhizomes. This will thicken the plot
  9. Only clip the tops of the clover if you mow. Dont mow at all if you dont have to. Herbicides are way better at controlling grass and weeds.

FOWLER2671

12 pointer
Sep 11, 2009
Evicted from Aintry'
NO not right now it wont. Fescue is starting to grow. With the weather we are having now Clover seed will go right down in the ground and germinate. Clover will catch up with the fescue. I just sowed over 40 acs of pasture land fescue with Red Ladino White Ladino clover this past week.

Where did you get your seed if I may ask?

I planted 3 pounds of clover in the yard to improve soil and attract bees to the garden but three pounds was $21? Seems like clover is expensive?

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
Where did you get your seed if I may ask?

I planted 3 pounds of clover in the yard to improve soil and attract bees to the garden but three pounds was $21? Seems like clover is expensive?
Thompson and Nash feed store Shelbyville Ky. It wasn't to cheap. But a little goes a long way. Sowed 25 pounds mixed with Orchard grass.

Latest posts