Best waterfowl WMA's in Arkansas

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by kipdynamite, Jan 17, 2006.

1. kipdynamite

kipdynamite 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2005
    Lexington
    I have some time off and I would like to go to Arkansas and try a do it yourself hunt. I can take a duck boat, but would rather walk in/wade hunt. Has anybody have any suggestions where to go, I would appreciate any info.

Thanks

2. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    State owned WMA require a $100 permit to use for NR hunters. You can hunt the National areas for free, but local guides adopt a lot of the holes as their own. You need to be at the gates early, before they open to get your spot, then you might need some fix-a-flat to get out.

I'd try the White River NWR near St. Charles and hunt the oxbows off of the river. some of them are good, some aren't. I'm hearing that lack of water is a factor down there this year.

3. kipdynamite

kipdynamite 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2005
    Lexington
    Multi, thanks for the tip. I checked the cost for WMA use and you were right, but a 5 day is cheap!

Non-resident hunters who wish to seek waterfowl on any one of 23 wildlife management areas used for duck and goose hunting are required to purchase a $10 permit for five days and a $100 permit for the full season. Separate permits would be needed for each WMA the hunter visits

Thanks

4. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    Bayou Meto, seven devils swamp or cut-off creek if they got water.

5. jdattilo

jdattilo 6 pointer

Feb 17, 2005
    Louisville
    Having hunted in Stuttgart last weekend, I can tell you Bayou Meto is dry. If you're going to spend the money getting down there, it might be worth paying to hunt. Many of the WMAs are dry, while the private clubs all have water. If they've got water, they've got ducks, although it might take you till 10 a.m. to kill a limit and the locals will be complaining ..... Jason