best round for hunting Kentucky Whitetails

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky

Ron Spomer does some of the best caliber comparisons of anyone I’ve seen. He talked me out of ponying up for 6.8 Western which is too similar to other cartridges I already have. He also did a great episode on all the PRC, Grendel cartridge and even .22 caliber deer rounds.

Michigander

8 pointer
Dec 8, 2014
Radcliff
Haha really? Your asking a age old question that doesn’t have a wrong answer, just a matter of opinions. Whatever you can find ammo for lol

But if you want some real answers tell us what you want the rifle to do? What kind of place you hunting? 50 yard shots or 500 yards? You care about recoil? Why you straying from the 3006?
guess I should have clarified. Getting it to hand don't o son-in-law who just started hunting. He will also eventually get my 30.06 so wanted him to have something different

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
There is only two rifles my brother and I will both get sore on of my dads. Marlin 30-30 we both killed first deer with and Remington 700 BDL I killed my biggest buck with and he killed his first bobcat with.

just think about what you would value most in a heirloom rifle that would hold value and be useful to him in his hunting style.

If my dad left me a savage 6.5 CM I would try to trade it for his lucky tie or a sock without a match. Know what I mean?

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
Well in my opinion the 30-06 and 270win are about the 2 most popular whitetail rounds. So the 270 would be a good one. I personally like having something a little different than everyone else, if I bought another rifle today I would be looking at a 7mm08 or a 444 for a brush gun.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
guess I should have clarified. Getting it to hand don't o son-in-law who just started hunting. He will also eventually get my 30.06 so wanted him to have something different
For your needs hands down a .243, low recoil is a good thing for newer shooters. It has a higher ammo availability than a 25-06. I have a dozen deer rifles and its the one i use the most.
If you only wanted one rifle a .270 or .280 would be my suggestion but since you have an 30-06. The .243 is a no brainer.
*I’ll bet my hat you’ll end up with one too after shooting it.

Last edited:

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
I have always factored in noise and recoil on purchasing a deer rifle. I love the .270 round but I don't own one because of how loud it is.

One of the biggest bucks I have killed came in quick on my off side, I was able to twist and take the shot with a .243 rifle in an awkward hold. I couldn't have done that with a heavy recoiling round. I haven't looked back since I moved up to .243 as my favorite deer round nearly 35 years ago.

Latest posts