Best protectant from rain?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by predator1, Oct 18, 2015.

1. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I've never had any problem caring for a gun or keeping them rust free and clean. But I was just wondering what's the best for using on a gun that you know your going to be in the rain with? I've seen blued guns start to flash rust in a matter of hours while sitting in the rain. I'm honestly considering cerakoting my new Tikka. But I was wondering what other options there could be? Even home made recipes or concoctions?

2. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    Cerakot is the best for what you're asking, but other lesser methods may or may not be good enough for you.

3. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    The only down side to cerakote is losing my gloss blued finish. If I go cerakote, which from my understanding is pretty much a matte finish only material. I'm going to stainless or titanium colored. I don't like matte blue finishes.

4. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Most of the blued guns that rust quickly( less than a day ) are the bead blasted type rough bluing that are typical of newer guns. I've seen what you're talking about happen to new 870 Express models. The polished blue rifles and shotguns won't rust even when hunting in the rain if they have a good oil film applied before hand. Personally I like the " thicker " synthetic gun oils for the outside, seem to kinda have a wicking ability. I put a drop or two and sort of push it all over the outside. I've also sprayed RemOil and have had no problems. When you get home be sure to get any water out of and off of. Then wipe down with oily cloth ( or spray ) I duck hunt sometimes with a polished blue ( mid 80's ) shotgun and it has zero rust , even around the bottom of the receiver where the bluing is thin.

BoB

5. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    Not necessarily. The mix of the Cerakote can drastically change the finish once it's cured. More catalyst/hardener = more sheen.

6. mulehead

mulehead 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2009
    in the hills
    Why not buy stainless for what you spend in cerokote 150.00. You Caan trade in on new stainless

7. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    A stainless gun is still more likely to rust. It's not near as durable to the elements. And to get a stainless Tikka your looking at an extra $125-150 anyways, besides the amount I'd lose for trading in a used rifle that I bought new.

8. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    I've always just wiped em down with 30wt motor oil lightly

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    A good coat of paste wax will do a good job of turning water. I've used Johnson's floor wax but I'm sure car wax would do as well.

10. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    The outside is the least important part to protect from rust.

11. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've used TreWax before, I get it at Ace Hardware. Good for wood and metal.

12. orion2000

orion2000 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2013
  13. labwild

labwild 6 pointer

Jan 29, 2006
    Mercer Co., Ky.
    I have used Shooters Choice Rust Prevent with good results. The key is to use frequently and clean the firearm promptly after exposure. I also carry a silicon cloth afield for emergency maintenance.

14. oscar10

oscar10 Fawn

May 27, 2015
    Lexington Ky
    I use wd40 myself.

15. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I suggest that if you use it, you keep it out of the trigger, bolt and anywhere that parts need to move freely. If not, at least clean religiously with something else. The stuff does gum up over time. It is a good water displacer though, which is what WD stands for...and will protect it from moisture if you keep it on there.