Best medium priced duck hunting shotgun

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by MallardSlayer, Sep 6, 2011.

1. I am currently using a mossberg 835 with a 24" barrel to hunt turkeys, ducks, and doves. I am looking to upgrade to a gun with a 28" barrel to duck hunt with and save my mossberg for a turkey gun. I have a budget i would like to stay under at around $450. Just wondering everyones opinions on what the best shotgun i could get for that price would be. ​

2. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    870 Express, Benelli Nova, Mossturd 500, or just buy a new longer barrel for your 835. Just some ideas

Mayes

3. Thanks. Ive looked into 870s but have heard you get what you pay for as far as quality. And the barrel for my 835 would cost me a chunk of change towards a new gun. Im really leaning towards a Nova.

4. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    New barrel would be the best bet. Or sell off what you got and get an $800 gun.

Why do you have to have a different gun for turkeys and ducks?

Head to Drakes or Uncle Lees and see what they can get you a Stoeger 2000 or Franchi I12 for. I ain't a pumper. A CZ OU would make a fine duck gun too for around 600.

And lastly a used Wingmaster.

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    The fit on an 870 express is a lot tighter than a Nova.

I've owned all of the guns you have mentioned and all of them would be good for what you want. Pick the one that fits you and go with it.

6. well the reason i want a different gun for different uses is the fact that i love my mossberg for a turkey gun but it kicks like a mule and the barrel isnt useful as a duck gun.

7. jwalt

jwalt Fawn

Sep 3, 2011
    Lexington KY
    I just picked up a Benelli Nova with regular and slug barrel. Pretty good all around gun and chambered for 3 1/2 (OUCH) shells - yep they kick! This is a pump. Benelli also has semi-auto shotguns for a tad more. Go to your local gun dealer and look at them.

8. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    Most people like the 835 because it patterns so well for Turkey hunting. The downside to shooting those guns is the recoil which kills on both ends. That is why he most likely is wanting a new gun. That and the 24" most likely ported barrel he has.

You can find a used 870 express that will be a workhorse. I have heard the newer one suffer quality issues.

Mayes

9. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Ahh. Baikal 153 (or whatever model no it is). 3.5" gas gun. A bit heavy but that heft and the gas system will tame the recoil.

Lots of folks have had excellent luck with them. I have no experience with them (no need for 3.5 for me) but hear they are a no frills workhorse of a shotgun.

http://eaacorp.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/MP153-SYNTHETIC.jpg

http://eaacorp.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/MP153-SYNTHETIC.jpg

Available in some kind of camo as well as the black too.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  10. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    That won't make you any friends in a duck blind for sure. Even if you are frying up da honey buns.

That was why I recommended another barrel. Cheaper. (Found one for 145 online just now.) You don't like the recoil shoot less recoil producing loads. Steer clear of them 3.5's.

11. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    If you will notice in my first post to him I suggested a new barrel as well. The 835 is a bruiser no matter what you feed it.

I had forgot about the MP-153 a good solid gun as well. Just it won't like certain 3.5" shells

Mayes

12. yea you all are exactly right. there are many reasons i am looking for a new gun. I think i have found the one i want although it is a little more than what i wanted to spend i heard nothing but good things about it. The stoeger M3500

13. Oscar

Oscar 6 pointer

Sep 22, 2009
    Oscar, KY
    i posted in the other thread before i saw this. My dad has a m2000 and he loves it no problems what so ever. i have heard great things of the 3500 too. Dont think you will be dissappointed.

14. PintailFreak

PintailFreak 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2009
    Central Kentucky
    I have the stoeger m2000. keeps right up with the $1500 Benelli's. For $550, getting an auto shooter 3" is a heck of a deal. Mine hasn't jammed or misfired in 2 years. I love it.