Best location

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by jritz27, Feb 12, 2016.

1. jritz27

jritz27 Spike

Sep 2, 2012
    eastern ky
    I'm new to coyote hunting and was curious where would be some key places to set up stand here in these eastern ky mountains? I don't have many open fields or strip jobs to hunt just mostly wooded areas. Didn't know if I need to setup in deep valleys, low gaps, or points. Any info would be very helpful

2. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    I'm still learning to hunt the timber for coyotes. I know in my parts they like to hang out in swampy bottoms.

3. bkb60

bkb60 Spike

Nov 15, 2015
    east ky
    i use to do some work over there at czar coal, might see if they would let ya hunt over there. that area holds alot of coyotes.

4. Coyote_Commander

Coyote_Commander Spike

Nov 25, 2013
    Manchester, Ky
    In the mornings hunt the ridges and call down into the hollers. Late evenings hunt the hollers. Try two speakers with one pointing over each side of the ridge to up your odds. You will kill more in the timber.

5. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

Check the bottoms for scat to find travel routes. I know when I hunted the Ky. side of Big South Fork park for hogs we sat depending on wind on hillsides overlooking bottoms along creek areas. Coyotes traveled the creeks. I wonder if Eastern coyotes bed on top of hills like they do out West? You'd need to scout the area to find covert routes to a stand then.