Best knives.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by carnivore, Nov 12, 2010.

1. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    I use the old US made Schrade, good sharp carbon steel, no stainless for me.

2. thomas

thomas Fawn

Nov 3, 2008
    Central KY
    I love my Dan Stucky fixed blade made from s30v. I have skinned 5 deer with it and I've never sharpened it. You'll have to wait about a year to get it after ordering though.

3. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Its all about the steel and heat treat my friend. A decent knife shouldent have to be touched thru several deer anyway. Hand made knives can be had for very respectable prices and will out perform the vast majority of commercially available knives hands down. We sharpen with our equipment in the shop so its only a couple minute process for us. We finish with a leather honing belt on a belt grinder with white rouge. It makes for a freakishly sharp edge. You can invest in a small two wheel grinder with paper and buffer wheels or a small (2 x 42) grinder and belts. Learn on junk knives though. Its a much sharper and finer edge than you can ever hope to get on a stone (unless its japanese water stones)

4. GunCat

GunCat 8 pointer

Jan 26, 2006
    Fairview, KY
  5. Buckbuster31

Buckbuster31 Spike

Nov 6, 2009
    benchmade is the way to go! I also have gerber which do get sharp and stay sharp, but i like my benchmade a heck of a lot better

6. rock802

rock802 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    primrose ky.
    I use a Buck folding hunter, it is stainless though. but it does sharpen pretty easy and will hold the edge good.

7. Homelessjosh

Homelessjosh 6 pointer

May 3, 2010
    I use a bench made. Very good knife.

8. big chief wooping stick

big chief wooping stick Fawn

Nov 15, 2010
    hen and rooster is the only way to go

9. bigfish68

bigfish68 6 pointer

Nov 23, 2009
    Golden Triangle
    cany go wrong ther ei have been using the same model for over 20 years great knife

10. KyBoyInAk

KyBoyInAk Fawn

Oct 27, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I use a Havalon for back packing trips, outstanding! I've had a Buck Special fixed blade for 15 years for other hunts. It gets it done.

11. anvil

anvil 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2009
    Here man http://cgi.ebay.com/WESTERN-HUNTING-KNIFE-UPSWEPT-BLADE-BRASS-GUARD-Mdl-640-/300492550218
    I own case buck puma kershaw and some others but my western 640 usa has to be the tuffest yet and holds a edge. I fount mine in a old car and kept it to clean snapping turtles.. I leave the bone in my turtle and i use this knive and hammer to cut through the bones. It has cleaned more deer hogs and a few cows then i care to remember + there cheep to buy. I tell you what buy one use it and if you do not like it I will gladly pay you what you have in it..
    For the sake of saying I dont have one for sale nor do i know the ebayer above..
    Like you said I would hate to lose a $100 + knife

12. nhudson

nhudson 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2008
    lawrenceburg,ky
    i have a two blade uncle henry i got at uncle lees back in 1977,gets so sharp it scares my boys .only hunting knife i have owned

13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Ha! Just checked the brand, I used a rada (my woman's) set to butcher mine today. Worked well after I sharpened them up.