Best Elk Cartridge in the World??

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by john39, Nov 24, 2020.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    The 180s, 190s would be much better for the elk.

2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I’ve killed deer with the 180 grain Winchester Accubond CT in .300 WSM and elk with 180 grain loads from a .300 WM. 180 are definitely better for elk and I do not think their overkill for deer. But the 150 to 165 grain bullets for deer would be bad medicine no doubt.

KYote-Krusher likes this.
  3. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I’ve got one in 270 and I love it

HCDH66 likes this.
  4. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky

If I ever get drawn ... I'll be happy to get a permit to jump on one's back and stab it to death but ... yes ... I'd be much happier to use a 180 grain bullet.

One other reason I chose the 300 WSM was because of the recoil ... my shoulders are SHOT and I've already had one replaced so I tried the regular 300 mag in a couple of rifles and there is considerable difference in recoil between the two shells and you don't have to give up very much in efficiency ... this is not to say the 300 WSM doesn't have a kick but you can easily tell the difference when you've got a shoulder like mine.

RLWEBB likes this.
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Same weight rifle, same load, the win mag has 2lbs of more recoil than the wsm. 27 vs 25 lbs, or 25 vs 23 depending what chart is used.

6. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky

I guess you're inferring that I'm a big weenie for complaining about a 2 pound difference in recoil (if that's actually correct ) and maybe I am, but ... when your shoulder joint gets to be bone on bone ... I don't care how tough you think you are ... that 2 pounds feels more like 50.

Hope you never have to have yours replaced and continue to go through life blissfully shooting elephant guns without flinching. :)

7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    No, no name calling or inferring otherwise. I actually investigated this prior to buying my wife a wsm. Was surprised the difference wasn't more. i had a muzzlebrake installed on hers to tame some recoil. I have a partially torn rotator cuff that gets pounded. No replacement needed as of yet.

8. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    Ok ... I guess I am a bit paranoid about being so recoil sensitive so my apologies for assuming you were picking on me.

As regards your rotator cuff, I sincerely hope you never do have to have it worked on because, as I understand, it's as bad or worse than having a shoulder replaced and that ain't no fun! :D

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have several friends that had the rotator cuff surgery. The PT is brutal.

mwezell and KYote-Krusher like this.
  10. Mossy Oak Boykins

Mossy Oak Boykins 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2019
    where my boykins take me
    from someone who has had it done along with 6 pins in the shoulder at the same time also it aint no fun and PT was brutal and i learned to shoot left handed while all this was going on went through dove ,pheasant, and waterfowl season before could shoot on right shoulder at first i was black and blue from my elbow to my neck from bruising trying to learn to shoulder shotgun to my left side but i learned and killed limits of all species

KYote-Krusher likes this.
  11. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I have had RT issues for years from lifting weights. The absolute best thing I ever did was incorporate physical therapy exercises for cuffs into my workouts. They look puny when doing but they worked exceptionally well.

KYote-Krusher and bgkyarcher like this.
  12. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    I would feel fine with my 308. I shoot it a lot and know what it is capable of. I currently have a Nightforce scope on it that I trust, even if it gets dropped.

There is no "Best Cartridge" But there are great cartridges that folks shoot a lot and some great cartridges that folks don't shoot hardly at all.

Most modern guns are capable of killing game out to 600 yards. The weak link is the scope and shooter. The real questions is what scope do you trust and how much shooting practice are you putting in. Caliber choice is easy, just about any of them from about 270 (give or take) and up.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    HCDH66, KYote-Krusher and RLWEBB like this.
  13. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    35 whelen is by far the best all around cartridge for North American big game!

1wildcatfan likes this.
  14. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Lots of good suggestions! I'd take my 280 Ackley after anything in the CONUS, and then some.

1wildcatfan and RLWEBB like this.
  15. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Nice to see you back, Mike

mwezell likes this.