Best Coyote Gun & Calling System?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by TP, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    7mm. Rem Mag seems to work just fine. Who cares how dead they are??? Anybody that lives near E-town and has a caller and want to get after a bunch, give me a PM.

2. Marcus

Marcus 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    I just bought a .17 rimfire savage. I put one of the simmons 4x16x50
    scopes on it. I have a friend that has taken 2 coyotes with his already and loves it. He has a CZ .17 caliber. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a good .243. I just wanted something that would get the job done. I paid $360.00 for the gun, 100 shells, scope, mounts, cleaning kit and sling. I could have bought almost 3 of these setups for 1 good ruger setup in the .243 caliber. I'm just giving my perspective. Besides, I probably wouldn't need anything bigger in most of the terrain I hunt.

3. gotopless

gotopless 6 pointer

Apr 8, 2003
    flemingsburg, ky, USA.
    i got a savage 24 predator in 223 over 12 guage. the 12 will shoot 3 inchers. its gives the option to reach out there and touch them or if they come in quick and r right on top of u. ( which has happened, i've had then run over top the speaker before) good luck

4. hey guys
    i was just wondering that if you could buy one gun for use on Coyotes and Deer
    which gun would you choose

5. varmiterkid

varmiterkid Spike

Jan 15, 2004
    pennsylvania.
    hey man both 17 and 22 mag will do the trick. there both good out to 150 in the hands of somone who knows the rifle. just make sure of the shot. you don;t need a 22 hornett or 218 bee ect. when ur shots r under 100-120 yards good luck

mike dehaveen

6. varmiterkid

varmiterkid Spike

Jan 15, 2004
    pennsylvania.
    i use a 223 and 243 if that means ne thing if ur getting a caller get one where you can set it up 50 or so yards away to ur gun side for easier shooting

mike dehaveen

7. Savage 22/250,,,,,,The Best!!!!

8. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gunsnroses1987</i>
    <br />hey guys
    i was just wondering that if you could buy one gun for use on Coyotes and Deer
    which gun would you choose
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My choice would be a Rem Model 7 in 7mm-08, but then I have no use for Coyote pelts. The 7mm-08 is perfect for deer and a bit of an over kill for 'yotes, but when you buy one gun for 2 purposes it can not be optimal for both!

The farmers around us want 'em thinned, and they let us deer hunt, so we try to help 'em out in the off season.

9. oldforestor

oldforestor Banned

Oct 8, 2003
    Zone 1
    The remote caller I had from cabelas was so fincky acting, I sent it back-and they graciously refunded.
    I think it takes so little to call in a coyote where we are that a mouth call just makes more sense. Their easy to use and cost $255.50 less than electronic. And kinda like the relationship of a bow to a muzzleloader, they always go work.
    As far as rifles, i like my pelts with <b>big</b> holes in 'em... .270 for me.

Sometimes it's the arrow...
    Sometimes it's the Indian...

10. coonslayer

coonslayer Fawn

Mar 4, 2004
    Lincoln, Ne, USA.
    I have had great luck with my 22 mag for a gun that puts fur in the shed without damage. I have a Volquartsen now but have used a good old Marlin bolt action for years. A good low cost combo would be a Marlin bolt action 22 Mag with a Simmons 4x12 scope. And one of my custom electronic game calls.

Todd Borland
    Coon-Hunting.com
    Minaska Outdoors.com
    http://www.coon-hunting.com http://www.minaskaoutdoors.com
    Custom Electronic Coon Calls, Nite Lite, Coon Squallers and much more

11. Hello! I am relatively new to this forum, however I do know SEVERAL others from other boards that I frequent. I just wanted to add my 2¢ as I have become an AVID yote (and throw in Red's & Grey's too!) hunter in recent years!!!

MY favorite...a Howa 1500 Supreme Thumbhole Varminter (stainless 22-250). It is one of THE most accurate firearms I have EVER had the pleasure of shooting (RIGHT out of the BOX!), much less owning! The 22-250 with the right ammo will put PENCIL HOLES in your quarry (usually...barring any contect with heavy bones which can cause fragmentation sometimes!). At 4,000+ FPS a yote just AIN'T gonna slow it down much. A 22-250 is basically a .223 on steroids. 22-250 has a higher MV (MUCH!) and therefore a flatter trajectory thereby making it more forgiving if you misjudge distance. .223 is cheaper ammo and more choices/readily available. Wouldn't rule EITHER out, just prefer the 22-250 for the speed.

I had, and have since sold a Savage .17HMR. GREAT gun, GREAT round...but NOT NEARLY enough for a coyote in my opinion for an ethical kill on all occassions. GRANTED, it has the potential provided you make a PERFECT shot under ideal conditions. HOWEVER, for anyone that has spent much time in the woods (ESPECIALLY chasing yotes!), ideal is not what you usually get. It IS a screamer, hower it does just NOT have enough 'rear end' to carry adequate KE at distance. It falls FLAT on it's face much out past 100-150 and ANY cross wind and you can FORGET IT! Once it becomes a little more 'standard' than 'nuveau' and there are more ammo choices, I might get another one. 17 grain bullets just do not have the mass needed.

I also have a Savage Mod. 24 w/.222REM over 20Ga. which works EXTREMELY well in varied terrain with the choice of scattergun OR high-power for longer distance...HOWEVER, the Howa is MUCH more fun cause you can REALLY reach out and touch them![;)][:D]

As for calls, I prefer the mouth blown varieties and/or the squeeker for up close and personal...seem to get more reaction. For electronic, homemade HANDS DOWN. They can KEEP their high-dollar callers...I made one from components that are readily available AND CHEAP at your local, neighborhood Radio Shack. Cost, including bag/tape/cassette player/etc was ~$40! My buddy has the $120+ version...can't tell the difference in sound, just looks prettier.

Genesis 9:3 "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

12. Remington12

Remington12 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Madisonville, KY.
    HunterEd, Could you give me a basic grocery list of items to get from Radio Shack? I got my first 2 yotes this past year and missed another and would like to try a caller but the price is just too high for someone who wants to wade in the shallow end of the sport (for now). I bought a rabbit call but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

13. Remmington12,

ABSOLUTELY! I will post the part #'s this evening from home...seems they don't care for my call much here at work![}:)]

There REALLY isn't much to them: a CHEAP cassette player (I got one on the clearance table for $5!) or if you prefer a CD player...but the CD's are more expensive to buy, an outdoor speaker (horn type), a 25W applifier, and as much speaker wire as you WANT! Oh yeah, and there is a patch cord that goes from the cassette player to the amp. Besides that, I used a soft tackle box (the kind you use the plastic trays in!) to hold it all along with extra batteries (the amp uses 1 9volt and the cassette 2 AA)and a couple of tapes!

Anyway, I will try to draw you a diagram if that would help too. I am WORKING on a way to make it wireless...haven't got that quite figured out yet, but will CERTAINLY pass it on when I do![;)]

Genesis 9:3 "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

14. BTW- I have found that a woodpecker distress tape works BETTER than a screaming rabbit in MANY instances!

15. Hey, I just looked on Radio Shacks website…here are examples of what I was talking about!

Speaker example:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=40-1440

Amplifier example (this one is more expensive than the one I got, but you can get an idea!):
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=33-1096

Patch cord example…not sure this is the EXACT one you need (they should be able to tell you!):
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=42-2461

Here is what I put mine in…not this exact one, but similar (however in a little more ‘neutral’ colors!)!
    http://www.planomolding.com/3363-10.htm

HOPE IT HELPS!

BTW- Works GREAT for calling CROWS too![;)]